1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad shot cup depth

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

Are there any bad effects from the shot column being a little above the top of the shot cup?

Thanks

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Probably not - if you candle most of the premium target ammo that is what you will see. It would be something of a trick to get everything just perfect and still be able to get a good crimp on the shell without folding the wad into the edge of the crimp.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Upon firing and with the setback, the shot will probably be covered.

Ajax

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Up until 1960s hulls were paper--wads were cardboard & felt or soft compressible material or cork etc. with no shot protectors at all, the 1st shot protectors I remember were just a small piece of plastic rolled into a cylinder & inserted into the hull before you dropped the shot charge. A company named Alcan came out with the 1st. practical shot protector called the Quick-Sert, it looked like a circle (O) with a square attached to opposite sides that you just laid on top of the paper hull & pushed down on top of the filler wad, they formed into a cup shape to hold the shot. Worked very well too, I still have a few left somewhere. Ross Puls

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Upon ignition I have to assume that the wad is shoved so hard forward, so quickly, and the mass of the shot being what it is, compresses, so there is no problem.

Whiz

6. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks all, I figured it was no problem but every time I'd see the shot above the petals I'd wonder about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead shot without wad cup