1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad / Shell Hoppers for Reloading: Best One?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wass, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wass

Wass Member

After 24 years of reloading shells on my MEC Grabber, I'm upgrading my reloading setup. Going 1st class all the way (Spolar, hydrolics, etc).

I'm building my own dedicated reloading table and want a nice setup for managing the hulls and wads on the bench.

I've seen some cardboard hoppers for wads and shells, but I'd like to buy or bulid something nicer.

Anybody have any pointers?

thanks,

Wass

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have made a few out of plywood.

Bryan

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Just buy a few Akro bins.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Half size plastic paint roller pans work fine for me.

5. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

MTM Shell & Wad Hopper

6. Bama73

Bama73 Member

This is what I use for wads, available at any pet supply store and holds over 500 wads.

bama73_2010_290118.jpg

7. pfofml

pfofml Member

Wass, A corragated paper box, some duct tape and a little imagination will make a hopper which will last many years.

Peter

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

http://ctcarrypermit.com/ctcarryperm/index2.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=22&vmcchk=1&Itemid=22&pop=1&tmpl=component

I have used Barrel Buddies hoppers for several years. Affordable, dependable and practical.

JON

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

If you build your own feeder out of plywood, like I did, try to find some Baltic Birch. 1/4" is probably good enough; not much stress on it from the inside, even if it's for hulls.

It looks much nicer, finishes up really easily, and with "finished edges", is in keeping with the concept espoused by your purchase of the Spolar. (class, elegance, dignity, etc.)

It's also a neat place to hang your various shot/wad/powder/primer recipes, note, pictures of your kids, and those infernal ATA patches.....

Mine is about 30" tall, 15" wide, and 12" deep, and holds several pounds of 12 ga. hulls. Off the top of my head, I'd guess 1000 + hulls.

Wads? I use a plastic dish washing tub that holds a full bag of gold wads, however many there are in a bag.....(I have no idea; it's not important to me)

Hope that helps.

John

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I did the same thing as Bama73. Takes up less room and easy to fill and store when not in use.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use Dillon Blue plastic bins. They will last forever.

12. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have been using basically the same thing as BAMA73 for the last 8years.

13. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I know you were looking for a bench hopper, I use the MTM shell and wad hopper for that, but thought I would add this.

I made this from a three drawer lateral filing cabinet. I paid $45 for this one used. I used 1/4' scrap plywood for the hopper shelves and just screwed small blocks of wood into the sides of the drawer and then screwed the hopper shelves into that. Total working time to make the cabinet was about 45 minutes.

minnship8_2011_25071.jpg

minnship8_2011_25072.jpg

minnship8_2011_25075.jpg

minnship8_2011_25074.jpg

minnship8_2011_25073.jpg

The real beauty of this hopper system, is that you are rotating your shells by pulling open the drawer and adding to the top and then pulling your shells to reload from the bottom of the hopper.

Enjoy,
    Chip

14. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Mec sells shell and wad hoppers I bought 4, a few years ago and they work fine. they hold about 300 wads and 200 or so shells.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Heck just buy the plastic storage bins. They are cheap and stack together easily.
    grntitan_2009_250341.jpg

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Let's see now!!! I have 3 small cardboard boxes that have to be 35 yrs old at least & have been used at evrey loading session. One for about 175 hulls,one for 250 wads & one by my feet to drop the loaded shells into. I can't begin to count the 10's & 10's of thousands of componants/loads these have held. And when I am finished,they nest all 3 together & take up so little room. But by golly,go for it. The Spolars deserve it. Seriously!! They do!!! I like that dog food thing-ee. That is neat. The best part is figuring it all out. Good for you!!!! Tom

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I made two from four waste baskets from Walmart. I cut it to my design and assembled it with a pop riveter and a glue gun which I already owned and had material for. Total cos was about $12.00 about 20 years ago.

18. Wass

Wass Member

I'd like to thank everyone for all the great ideas and responses. I really appreciate it.

Given I'm investing time in building my own reloading table, I may as well spend a little extra time and build some hoppers too.

I've been playing with a great new free tool called "Google SketchUp". I learned it in < 24 hours and drew up plans for my reloading table:

SpolarTable800x391.jpg

After I finished designing the table, I modified some great hopper plans from Calkidd (thanks Calkidd). My hopper includes a floor with a 5 degree tilt to keep the wads/hulls near the front of the hopper as well as bigger dimensions to hold more wads/shells:

ShellHopper800x391.jpg

Great way to spend the "waiting period" while the folks at Spolar make my new reloader!

Wass

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Wass, you're rendering of the Hopper looks very familiar.

calkidd_2008_030312.jpg

20. BJ99

BJ99 TS Member

Old frig bins work great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec wad hopper

reloading wad dispenser
shell hopers
shell hopper adalah
shell wad hopper