1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad rotation thread posted several weeks back.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by i_shoot, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Several weeks ago there was a post that generated a lot of replies about whether a wad rotated. I heard lots of knowledgeable shooters disagreeing back & forth about wad rotation.
    I got this link from shotgunworld.com earlier & thought I would share it here with you folks. I'm certainly no expert & often wondered if a wad could rotate.
    Take a look at the pic & tell me what you see.

i_shoot

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What we don't know, i-s, is whether each of those photos is the same shot, or rather several shots individually snapped at increasing distances from the muzzle. Until that can be determined, we won't know if this shows wad rotation or not.

Neil

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It is also OUTSIDE the barrel, a totally different environment than inside the barrel.

4. Garret

Garret TS Member

I think the wad does rotate. Ruger once made a Trap gun called Ruger Trap and with this gun they described the barrel has having something like rifling that kept the wad from rotating which was to create better patterns. I like Ruger and I trust them but I don't know if that makes a difference in the pattern.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That series of photos was taken by welderman in Mass. if I recall? It's a series of five different photographs of five shots, with the camera mounted in one foot intervals away from the muzzle.

Hap

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Here's the link to the original wad rotation thread, started last Novemebr and apparently still being posted to.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After extensive research I have solved the wad rotation mystery. If you shoot in the northern hemishere wads rotate counter clockwise. If you shoot in the southern hemisphere your wad will rotate clock wise. And the speed at which the wad rotates is directly proportional to the distance you are from the equator. HMB

8. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Thanks for clearing it up about 5 different shots. The debate about wad rotation is still intriguing to me.

i_shoot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.