1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Recommendations - Claybusters vs Downrange etc

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rkneis, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkneis

rkneis TS Member

Everyone was very helpful on my last issue, so I have another questions for the experts. It seems that my claybuster WAA clones leave alot of debri in my gun, especially in my chokes (comp n chokes). So has anyone used WAA clones that do not leave an over abundant amount of plastic behind. Is this a real problem or am I just trying to make an issue that does not exist. I clean my chokes with Slip2000 (awesome) after every tournament and the amount of plastic that I peel out with my tornadoe brush is unbelievable! I am very happy with my shot pattern and target impact (powder), but would really like to find a wad that is more durable and does not leave as much in my barrel's.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I use nothing but Downrange wads, DR-XL-1, DRA-12, Jammer XL-1 for my 1oz. loads and DRRF8, WJ-12-RPL for 1 1/8oz. Never a problem with plastic build-up. Only ported barrels I have are on my Kolar O/U and they do gather some crud, but I don't think it's plastic.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You might try the Spolar Gold wads. They are made from a hetter grade of plastic that is much slipryer than all the other wads. Since switching to them, I don't get any buildup of plastic in my guns.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Downrange.

Kevin Lewis is a great guy to deal with, and the product is excellent.

I use their XL-1 neon green wad for my singles loads (Winchester WAA12SL substitute) and their DRRT-12 (Remington TGT-12s substitute)

5. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I use Claybusters and like them. I haven't experienced any greater degree of plastic buildup with them than when I have used other brands of wads. From all I have read, Downrange are good wads too. It seems to me that like a lot of things, it's a matter of one's preference.

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

DOWNRANGE OR Target-12 Remington.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I get Duster wads from my supplier and am very happy with them. I like them better than the Claybusters, because they just slip right into the hull so much better than the noisy claybuster wads. I keep thinking I broke a wad guide almost every time I load them sometime during my reloading. Barrel build up is not a problem. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

Downrange for me, if it ain't broke don;t try to fix it. When you got the best stick with it. Go Down Range' Curly 1946

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange (except the XXL series), Remington, Federal, and Winchesters. Claybusters will sometimes seem to leave residue, but not always. Their clones of the Federal 12S0 and 12S3 never seem to have the issue for me, nor did their clones of the Remington Figure 8 and TGT12. The Duster wads have lost my confidence a few years ago when they had some bad plastic. They were unwilling to replace the defective wads I had. There is a case and a half left here that are reserved for practice in warm weather. They fracture when it gets under 45 - 50 degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claybusters vc spolar gold