1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Recommendation Needed for a Novice Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ray Collins, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Which wads should I use for 1 oz. and a 1 1/8 oz. loads in Winchester HS AA hulls? The Down Range and Clay Busters brands appear to be the best values. I intend to purchase a Mec 9000E and will use green dot powder. I shoot trap exclusively.

Ray

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For AA and Green Dot i use Winchester WAA12 and WT-12 or Claybuster/Downrange versions.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Claybuster AA replacements will be the easiest to use and find data for. The claybuster catalog shows which to order for 1 ounce and which to use for 1-1/8th. They must have been ok, I used at least 10 cases of them with no troubles. I used a MEC Grabber, the manually indexing version of the press you want. Good Luck

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ray, Both will work fine for you. Claybuster has been around a very long time while Down Range is the new guy on the block and alot of shooters like them. I can find no fault in one or the other and have used both. Buy the cheaper one and do get 2 different wads for loading l oz. and for l l/8 oz. loads. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Green Dusters for 1 oz. Blue Dusters for 1-1/8.

Wayne

6. Ray Collins

Thanks everyone; you have been very helpful.

Ray

7. TJZ1911A1

TJZ1911A1 TS Member

check out my post on the forum for the mec 9000 if your looking for one.. it's a few posts down from yours

8. Ray Collins

Thanks TJD1911 1A but I want an electric model--the 9000E.

Ray

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

The DR XL-1 and Green Duster are very good wads - better than the Claybuster.

I cannot load the Claybuster 1 1/8 wad in AA's without buckling the hull so I use the Win AA wad or the Windjammer wad. Both pattern very well and the Windjammer is less expensive.

Green dot is not a great choice for 1 oz loads if you are looking for reduced loads. Promo is excellent but you MUST have a scale as it varies from lot to lot. Red Dot and Clays are also good and economical powders for 1 and 1 1/8 target loads.

Don Verna

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Go with any of the Down Range(DRxxx)wads. You'll be glad you did.
    D.P.Reynolds

11. Ray Collins

Thanks everyone. While I am asking what do you recommend for primers? Winchester 209 seems to be the standard but they are expensive. I have been warned away from Nobelsport 209 because they are oversized and will stretch the primer holes. I thought .209 was the size?? What do you fellows use?

Thanks,

Ray

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Go with Chedittes , Never a failure for me in many years of using them . Rem and Wins are too expensive for me .

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ray, I don't care that the Nobel Sports stretch the pockets or not. I am not going back to the Win. AA's at their price any time soon. Hulls will wear out in time anyway. The Cheddites have a problem with some firing pins punchering the out metal of the primer and burning the end of the firing pin off. This does not happen with all makes of guns. Try a few before you buy alot or go with the Nobels. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.