1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by REDD04, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

With the numerous wads on the market, what is your favorite wad for 1 ounce loads for handicap and 16 yds loads?

Most importantly why is this your favorite wad? Example (price, tight pattern, easy to load, less residue, ETC.)

Thanks,
    REDD

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

I settled on the DRA-1 pink wad for 1 oz. for all the reasons you mentioned. Karl

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Redd... I prefer the original Windjammer 1oz. yellow wad for 1oz. loads. They are very economical, easy to load, pattern extremely well, have lower felt recoil, and leave very little, if any, plastic residue in the choke. I throw the new wads in the clothes dryer for about 5 minutes to allow the petals to relax, let them cool, and start loading. I shoot only 1oz. Windjammers for singles and doubles, and 11/8oz. Windjammers for handicaps. In my opinion, they are the best wad currently on the market if you take into account all the factors I mentioned above and compared them to the competition......Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

What TRAP-2 said for me as well. Richard

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the Pink Winchester WAA12SL or the Claybuster Clone CB1100-12 for 1oz loads in tapered hulls. They pattern quite well in my guns and load easier than any 8 petal wad I've tried. That's my experience, but you need to try using a variety yourself and make a comparison. The Pink DRA-12 Downrange wads are also decent, but I have thousands of the Winchester and Claybusters on hand and don't need to stockpile too many. I use the original Winchester wad for longer yardages, since it seems to pattern just a bit tighter. The Claybusters are great for 16 yards out to the 23 or so. There is a good amount of data for both of these wads available, so there is little guesswork.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

TRAP2, you know I'm not challenging you but mighty curious; it's been my experience that all recipes with windjammers require a bit more powder for whatever reason than rem or win wad recipes to get the same velocity. How do you resolve the idea that the WJs produce especially economical loads if you're having to use 1/2 grain or more powder? Is the wad so much cheaper that it cancels the cost of extra powder? I have tried them in the last century and they slowed me down on the MECs just because the narrow petals seemed to seek the shot drop tube and required the extra effort/time to ensure no fold-overs.

For others, I'm pretty much married to the AA or it's clones (greenduster, claybuster) or DownRange 1 ozers and rarely go to the pattern board to feed my already anal mind any more fodder....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Like QuackShot & BDodd, I'm a Winchester-type guy for all my gauges.

If I can get original Winchesters for a song at a garage sale, they're my first choice, otherwise I buy the Pink Claybuster or Green Duster wad, whichever is more economical - good success with both in either original AA, Remington Premier (RTL) or STS/Nitro hulls.

Jay

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob......The answer is quite simple. I don't bump the powder when reloading with the Windjammers. I, personally, cannot tell the difference in velocity between the Windjammers and any comparative wad when loading a 3dr. handicap load. I don't feel that 1/2gr. +/- makes any noticeable difference. I can take a shell loaded with 18gr of Promo and use a Windjammer wad or a Duster wad and I can't really tell the difference, in speed, from the 27yd. line. I can, however, tell the difference in recoil between the two. Even if I did have to bump the powder by 1/2gr. the performance of the Windjammers would more than offset the minimal increase in cost....Just my opinion....Dan

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob....As an aside, the Windjammers now have all the petals connected and, after doing the dryer trick, they load absolutely flawlessly in my Mec 9000H. They helped me to reach AA/27/AA at the Grand in July......Dan

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dan - Gotcha!

11. AAleadvail27

AAleadvail27 TS Member

I load Windjammer 1 1/8 8.5s for singles .

Windjammer ll 1 oz. 8.5s for my wife and my practice .

Claybuster 1118 or 0118 for 'caps w/8s or 7.5s

I brush out the choke tubes every 100 - 200 to keep plastic build up from becoming a problem with a chamber / choke brush .

All I do is load and shoot the WJs.

Bob

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded Claybusters for many years. Lately, I have had good luck with Duster wads. I also like the Downrange wads. I cannot justify the extra expense of the factory wads.

I guess whatever wad best fits the hull and powder/shot combination!

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try Down Range wads for all your loads. You will be very happy

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Down Range Wads SUCK in my humble opinion. RG

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Remington TGT12s wads. hardly hangup in my loader, very little plastic build up my notes show better scores with them. I had used waa12sl before and did well also. The claybuster tgt clone tried also hung up more than i care for on my mec 650. not stitched like Rem. Also the clones had 4 little nicks on lip of shot cup? When I get a chance Ill show pics of the wads. Right now with out mail order or driving no wads locally?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.