1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am loading 2 loads. #1. 1 oz. load/STS hull/Downrange Xl-1 wad/Promo powder.(17.5 grains).. #2. 1-1/16 oz load/STS hull/Downrange XL-118 wad/Promo powder (18 grains). My question is; as I don't load 1 1/8 oz loads, can I use the XL-1 or the XL-118 wad for both loads? I contacted Kevin at Downrange and he said that either one could work; but he wasn't sure. Anyone one out there with experience in this area? I would think the rational choice would be the XL-118 wad for both. (I just want to purchase a case of wads that would be suitable for both of these loads). Thanks. Ed

2. daveship

daveship Member

hi. i just loaded the 1 1/16 sts's with xl -1 wads they worked great. my concern for you would be using the larger wads with less shot the shell might crimp a bit concave. just my 2 cents

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Dave: I have loaded 1 1/6 oz. loads with the XL-1 wads and they crimp fine. They just overfill the cup. (very little) When I load the same load with the XL-118 it just appears that this "might" be a better choice. (The crimp is also acceptable). I just would like to use 1 wad for everything. I also noted that the Blue Duster wad, (BD12) is a "clone" to the WAA12 Winchester wad. Winchester says that the WAA12 wad can be used for either the 1 oz. load or the 1 1/8 oz. load. However, I have never used the Blue Duster wads. Ed

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

i use the TGT12 wad for both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.