1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RHAT, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

I'm trying to determine the best wad to use i'm loading 1 1/8 oz STS and AA hulls I purchased several bags of white AA wads and the Gold Spolar 8 pedal (windjamer),....... I use a Spolar loader...

I know there is a lot of experenced reloaders on this site ... I would like your thoughts

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

gold spolar and downrange wads.

dave

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DownRange version of Remingtons Fig8 wad is about all i use anymore. Works real good in the Remington hulls for both light loads all the way to heavier handicap loads. It also works great in Winchester AA loads.

Matt

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Well, that would depend on how much and what type of powder your using. With one ounce I can drop 16 gr. of Clays with a Winchester wad and get 1125FPS, and drop 17.5 gr. of Clays with a Windjammer wad and get the same FPS. Big difference. GaryL.

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

DownRange makes the Spolar wads. They have become the gold standard for wads. If you have any questions regarding any wads, given Kevin a call at the factory. He will answer and offer you as much info as you need in choosing components.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't care for 8 Petal wads. They are sometimes a PITA to load up. Figure 8 or clone for the STS. WinAA12 or clone for AA hulls. Or just bite the bullet and use the Figure 8 or clones for both. Downrange clones are fine, as are some of other manufacturers. I use a LOT of OEM wads and Downrange wads. Some Claybusters as well. It depends on what I'm loading for and if cost is a big factor for practice ammo. It also depends on what my local suppliers have in stock at the time. If you are looking for a great handicap load, go for the Versalite Wads and Green Dot Powder at 1225 fps or so. Uniquie at 1250 or better. Chack your data and weigh your charges. Quality shot may also help a bit.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See which wad your reloading machine likes, you don't want to use one that will give it indigestion. HMB

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I recently had a bad batch of WAA-12's. I looks like they were packed hot and the petals are deformed. That is a real PITA.

I have never had a problem with Downrange, Windjammer or Greendusters (1 oz loads) wads. Downrange may be the best wad for the price out there.

Don Verna

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use claybusters for all gauges and loads. Never had a problem with them. Loads will be very close to using winchester wads. Jackie B.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm in quackshots corner with wads OEMs or Claybusters fig. 8 have tried most others on the mkt. & these work best for me in STSs or Fed. papers (when I cen get them) Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.