1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzimx15, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzimx15

perazzimx15 Member

Having trouble loading the Winchester hulls using the downrandge 7/8 wads,cant get a good crimp, like to much shot? This load will work good on Remington hulls help

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

perazzimx15

If you are talking about the XXL series of wads, I had numerous issues trying to load them. Many people have claimed they worked well for them, but I don't wish to spend a lot of time making adjustments to my press when changing wads. Get hold of Kevin Lewis at Downrange and he may be able to help you. It could be that the wads are hanging up on the basewad in the AA hulls.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Using a very condensed powder i.e. WSH, TiteWad, TiteGroup, etc. will give you better crimps due to taking up less space in the hull. Mostly, I do not use the XXL wad in A-A hulls, but use CB4100s instead. The XXLs work great in Rem hulls!

AndyH ;-)

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I was having the exact same problem with the downrange wads. My wad was actually climbing to the top of the hull and I would push it back down with my index finger. That got old real fast. The wad would trap air and build up pressure until it would climb up.

I switched to Winchester wads (they are .010" smaller on the diameter than the downrange) and haven't had a problem since doing so. I'm using the orange wad that is made for 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce, and it works great. Use Winchester wads for the Winchester hulls, makes sense right?

Kevin

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

i had the same problem (plus off sounding loads once in a while) switched to TGT 12 and problems ended like magic.. Ross

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I believe you need more wad pressure to partially collapse the column for winchester hulls...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.