1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Pressure?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shaner72, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaner72

Shaner72 TS Member

Hi Im wondering about wad pressure. Right now Im using 12g AA Hulls with the orange claybuster wads. with 1 1/8 of #8 shot. winchester primers and Promo powder. Im using a 28 bushing witch gives me around 1'145 fps. My wad pressure is set at 45/50. What would be the best pressure to run with this recipe. Thank's Shaner

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Shanner All you need is enough pressure to seat the wad against the powder no need for that much, all it does is collapse the wad and it comes back when you release it.

3. shootman

shootman TS Member

All you want is enough pressue to make your marker on your guage barely move . just enough to seat the wad. BOB

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you're using the proper components for the hull, you'll get all the wad pressure you need when you crimp the shell. The shot will do it for you.

MK

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

The more wad pressure that you have and tighter crimp it will bring up the pressure considerably and is not needed on a clean burning powder, but it will help a dirty powder such as Longshot burn cleaner by doing this.

thanks
    lee

6. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Fast burning powders such as Red Dot, 700x etc.....just seat it to a blip on the wp guide. I use International Clays w 40lbs wp. Never a variance in sound/feel of my loads. Wish I could say the same for my friends loads with no wp......Jerry P.S. I believe wp is even more critical with more worn hulls/i.e. soft/loose crimp mouths. Good luck whatever you subscribe to.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Normally all you need is to bump the wad gage as everyone has said.

Winchester did put out a recommendation on their new AA shells of a wad pressure of 45 to 50 pounds. I have not seen any changes to that recommendation. Maybe others have?

Ajax

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Instead of 45-50 # pressure just lower your crimp starter a bit.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I believe Winchester made the recommendation so the wad would go into the mouth of the base wad and not set on top of the base wad and buckle the case.

Ajax

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I put no less than one pound and no more than 4 pounds of pressure on the wad. Winchesters special recommendation was an attempt to solve some problems when the first generation of the new hulls came out. It is no longer necessary.

The wad pressure thing goes way back to the use of paper wads. With paper wads, pressure was important. Plastic wads eliminated heavy wad pressure requirements 45 years ago.

Pat Ireland

11. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Shaner, if your loading technique is working for you then I wouldn't be concerned. Many don't understand the manipulation of wad pressure and the effects, both positive and negative that it can have. When loads are assembled for lab testing often times little is considered as to be desireable for hull capacity. Powder companies and those who write books/articles on load development seem more concerned with providing reliable data on every possibility in using most components available to which a person loading could buy.

birddog1964, where can a person obtain that data inwhich you speak of as to wad pressure raising pressures??

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Just to get the wad pressure guide to barely move, your already at 25+ lbs. On a MEC the guide indicator starts at 30 lbs. Pat I doubt 1-4 lbs of pressure would even get the wad in the hull. Maybe you mean 31-34 lbs. Wayne

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've always strived for the slightest movement of the pressure indicator. During a conversation with Kevin from Downrange Wads last week, we discussed this - in his opinion, NO wad pressure is best.

Ed

14. VNVET

VNVET Member

I think the correct question to be asked is WHY do you need wad pressure. Using high wad pressure to stuff all the components in the hull is the wrong approach. Personally I think Ajax is right on the mark with his comment, when loading Win. HS hulls due to their design. Other hulls such as the STS, Nitro, old style AA, dont have those issues. Use the correct wad for the hull and don't collapse the legs of the wad is my philosophy.

Jim

15. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

VNVET, I'm afraid I have to disagreewith you, I am having a bad time with soft shells that the powder is not all burning up, and the factory rep tells me to add more wad pressure, and deepin my crimp. The shell casings are once fired STS's, and the older Win. RXP's. I am in contact with the powder manufacturer, and testing is going on to see if it can be determined the problem. Harry

16. lancelot

lancelot Member

Hi Everybody -

Please give me some help. To my knowledge there has been nothing in a thread, in a Solar video, or in the Spolar instruction booklet on how to set the wad pressure.I will gladly subject myself to a verbal beating if I have somehow overlooked it.

If anyone knows please pass it along to me.

Thanks, Ron Ireland

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ron, I have no working experience with a Spolar but I believe that the same procedure for a P-W applies to them, so here goes.

With a primer and powder-charged hull in the wad seating station and the wad seating ram adjusted upward farther than needed and a wad in the wad guide, lower the ram and wad into the shell. Then insert a lead pencil eraser end first into the hole under the shell and push up. Adjust the wad seating ram downward until the pencil stops moving downward. You are now at zero wad pressure - I always gave my wad seating ram an extra quarter-turn or so downward just for good measure and left it alone unless changing something in the recipe.

Ed

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Go ahead and mash the wad into the hull with all the pressure you want. When the press ram is raised the wad pressure goes to zero. There is no reason to use more more pressure than it takes to insert the wad. The crimp determines the wad pressure. If the wad is inserted with so much pressure that it collapses and is mutilated I suppose that could cause low pressure.

19. VNVET

VNVET Member

"VNVET, I'm afraid I have to disagreewith you, I am having a bad time with soft shells that the powder is not all burning up, and the factory rep tells me to add more wad pressure, and deepin my crimp. The shell casings are once fired STS's, and the older Win. RXP's. I am in contact with the powder manufacturer, and testing is going on to see if it can be determined the problem. Harry"

bug-2...With no more info than you provided about your specific load, I will offer this to ponder. Your crimps should be very close to the appearance of a factory shell in depth or about the thickness of a dime. Plastic has a tendancy to return to it's original shape when it's deformed such as bending the legs of the wad with too much wad pressure. You may initally get it all in the hull but the next day your crimp will be bulged because the wad is returning to it's original shape. If your wad is seated on the powder, that's it, perfect, no more is needed. If your crimps look like factory crimps, perfect, no more is needed. If you are still having a problem then you are using the wrong wad for the hull, or you need to change powder. Any other solution is a band aid and not addressing the real problem. I'm not familar with the "Win RXP's" is that a wad or a hull?

Jim

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

VNVET your right bug-2 does not give us enough information, powder, shot weight, etc. There is no such thing as a Win RXP. Remington use to make a unibody hull called RXP, and made RXP-12 wads for the 12 gauge RXP hull. If you used a RXP-12 wad for 1 ounce loads pressures would be low. Need more info, sounds like wrong wad, primer, powder combination. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
changing wad rising pressure
clay buster wad pressure
is wad pressure nessasary
wad pressure

wad pressure guide for claybuster wads

winchester wad pressure