1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad pressure

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfram, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think that wad seating pressure is much of a consideration with today's plastic wads. All that is necessary is for the wad to be seated against the powder charge, pressure applied beyond that point temporarily compresses the wad. The wad column returns to its original length when the wad seater is raised provided you didn't completly crush the wad. The gas seal between the heel of the wad and the case wall is a result of the wad base expanding upon powder ignition.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Squibb..It sounds like you are trying to load a tapered wad into a straight wall hull. A AA wad, Duster, Windjammer, Downrange, etc. will do this every time in a Federal, Estate, etc. straight walled hull......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wad pressure was very important when we had cardboard wads but is not a major factor with plastic wads. You want enough pressure to firmly seat the wad over the powder but you do not want to compress the wad. Plastic wads will not hold the pressure applied to them.

As Dan mentioned, you should use a wad specifically designed for the case you are reloading.

Pat Ireland

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It seems these days with plastic wads and such, all one is doing with wad pressure is to seat the wad on the powder and eliminate air space.

Having loaded since 1958, I do NOT miss the paper shell and cardboard/fiber wads. I still load some paper hulls, but with the plastic wads, they load like plastic hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.