1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Pressure

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Push, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Push

Push TS Member

What is the recommended wad pressure I should be using to load 1 1/8 oz. loads for both 16 and handicap loads? I'm using Red dot and Unique powders and Windjammer wads.

Dick

2. tammike

tammike Member

Zero, because when you crimp it all smashes down in there anyways.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Just enough to move the indicator. IMO. Why do they put those on the reloader anyway if they are not important?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Flyn,

The indicators are a leftover part from the past when wad pressure was needed to seat properly. Modern wads can be seated with little to no pressure. You could actually just seat the wad with your pinky. I know the newer Hornady 366's do not even come with a wad pressure indicator. My old Pacific has one however.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I agree with "just enough to affect the indicator." I never exceeded about 5 pounds and trusted the crimping to tighten things up without crushing modern wads......breakemall

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Really, that is true about no indicator on the new 366's? I have one (366) also with the indicator. I guess I just always wanted to make sure it was seated, for peace of mind. I would think that would help with consistancy, even if it is only in my mind. I must add, that I have never had a blooper in my 20 some years of reloading. Jon

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It doesn't make any difference if you seat with zero or 60#, the wad will just spring back to it's original height.

I reload so that the indicator just moves. It's worked for the last 100,000 rounds so I guess it is okay.

ss

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Wad pressure was and is an important element when stacking a wad colum with old carded and fiber wads, as wad pressure aided in gas sealing during discharge. Modern day plastic wad utilize a sealing pistion which is part of the powder cup to seal gases.

If ever have a chance to load one of the translucent hulls, you can clearly see the wad compress and return to its original height if you have applied heavy wad pressure, nothing has been accomplished other than cushing the wad legs.

The cushing of wad legs does allow for for slight variations in loads.

Surfer

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as wad pressure with today's wads. Push them down to ware the crimps look good and forget about it.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The wad does not have to contact the powder. Consider that many handgun cartridges have more "open" area inside them than "occupied" area and they go bang just fine, even with the gun's muzzle pointed downward so the powder is against the base of the bullet or horizontal so the powder is lying along the side of the case. My .38 Special target loads contain only 2.3 grains of Clays powder and my .44 Magnum target loads only have five grains in them. That leaves a whole lot of air space in there. It has been proven in ballistics laboratories that the powder cannot escape the primer's flame.

As others have said, thanks to modern plastic wads, wad pressure is no longer a necessity.

Ed

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Now you done it. Here comes the "detonation" guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is wad pressure nessasary