1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad pressure , or no!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jjlucky, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjlucky

jjlucky TS Member

I have not been using wad pressure on my 9000G, however as of late when loading 7/8 oz with Clays powder I'm not getting consistant results. A lot of powder residue left in the barrel. Will some wad pressure correct this?

Jack Luck

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

What powder are you using? If its a slow burner that might be normal.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Maybe! But, yes, there should be just enough pressure to ensure seating the wad against the powder. On your reloader's measuring device, you should move the wad ram down until you at least just see the arrow move. Go ahead and say 5 to 10 lbs if you want but there is no reason for more with modern wads. Your specific problem? Maybe not enough powder to result in a consistent burn is another possibility. I load some 7/8 oz loads with Clays and like to stay at a minimum of 17 grains of the powder and with medium strength primers. As I've said elsewhere, you can reduce costs and recoil by reducing the shot weight of your loads or by reducing the velocity (less powder) but doing both at the same time can result in real inconsistent velocities and maybe squibbs...breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. jjlucky

jjlucky TS Member

Bob; your point is well taken, I'm using Mec bushing #30 with clays powder and Nobel primers and cb 6100 wads. My scale has dissapeared since we moved the summer, (I wonder how??), but If memory serves me that should be around 17 gr.
    I normally use 1 oz. with cb 1100 wads. I'm trying to load these 7/8 oz. 9's for first shot of doubles and skeet.
    thanks for the input. Jack

5. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Lucky, I experienced your exact same problem using nobel primers, i switched to winchesters and the problem went away, much cleaner burn with no hollow sounders. good shooting Big Jim

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My experience with Clays and Mec bushings is that I use a #31 to get about 17 grains of Clays.

I am not familiar with the CB6100 wad, what is it a clone of? Also, what hull you using?

Now that there is the CB0178-12 wad that is a clone of the Win WAA12L, I would get a bunch of those for any 7/8 oz loads.

Jason

7. jjlucky

jjlucky TS Member

Jason; when I load STS hulls I also use 0178 wads. The CB 6100 is new and made for the Federal and import hulls.
    I think part of the problem is , the 6100 wads is a little shorter than the 0178. I've loaded some with a little wad preasure we'll try.
    Jack

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack....RUN, don't walk, to your nearest outlet and buy a new scale! Loading without one is un-acceptable under any circumstances!

"If memory serves me that should be around 17 gr".

Going by memory is really not the way to safely reload a shell. This is exactly how accidents happen. Please, do us all a favor and buy a new scale. One of us just might be shooting next to you if, and when, something does happen........Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.