1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad press adjustment on Mec Loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

There is no room on my wad ram on the wad press station when if I adjust it to move the guage even a micron when fully depressed. I always thought you should be able to at least press to the 30 p.s.i. baseline if not 40 pounds or more. I am loading for 1 ounce of lead charge with the correct 1 ounce wad. What gives?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hap (I think) told me to take a file - or better a Dremel tool - and grind a little more clearance for the wad to slip by by carefully taking some off the top of the wadguide.

It worked for me, but you'll never get much wad pressure; it can't be done. Nor is is needed anyway, they say.

Neil

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thank you Neil!! You understood my question and gave me a workable solution. Much thanks....Rick Kipp .... Texas

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I took the wad guide off and held it on the side of the grinding whel for a bit, took off about 1/8" or so.

Jim dandy peachy keen.

The pressure indicator should move a smidgen to let you know the wad is on the powder. Heavy pressure is not necessary, since felt wads are not in vogue lately.

HM

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I do this first thing on a Mec.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Shooting coach: You and Neil understood the question. Thanks for the photograph. I will duplicate it on my grabber tommorrow. Thank you!! Rick Kipp...Texas

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

When I was running a progressive MEC , I found that the Hornady wad guide (fingers) worked better than the OEM MEC fingers . They have to be "convinced" to go into the holder but they will eventually fit .

Charlie

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The wad guide is adjustable, why not move it down for clearence instead of grinding your poor little Mec and making it look very ugly? HMB

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

hmb: if you move the wad guide down, it will hit the hull prematurely, which will prevent the hull in the collet from going down far enough.

The shell lifter is connected to the wad guide rod.

Been there, done that.

HM

10. willing

willing Member

I just pulled off the litle clip and moved the guide down and tighened the allen screw a bit, has worked for a few months so far.

Bill

11. billn

billn Member

MEC has the same type of wade guide already ground down and it is slanted on the outside instead of flat at the top, I have one that they gave me at the Grand last year for ounce loads, it works fine after I put it on. But you can do it just like in the picture, but slant the outside side. it makes it easier to install the wad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjust wad pressure on a mec shotgun press
adjusting wad pressure on mec grabber
adjusting wad pressures on mec steelmaster

how to lower wad guide mec9000

mec reloader wad guide adjustment
mec wad guide adjustable
setting mec wad pressure
videos of wad pressure on a mec 9000