1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad performance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

Using 1 1/8oz, How do different wads perform and why. And with different chokes? Example,Windjammer,Figure 8,etc.

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Wads can perform differently in different barrels, or differently in the same barrel at different speeds, or with different powders. I don't believe anyone actually knows why, although I've heard some very interesting guesses.

Start by using the same wad the manufacturer of your hull uses, and branch out from there. That is almost never a mistake. For Riefenhauser hulls like Fiocchis, most of the Gualandi and B&P wads work well, although I've never had good luck with the B&P Lightning.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I always try to keep things simple and to buy in reasonable volumes to reduce costs. It does not take too much effort to wind up with several types of wads, three brands of primers, multiple powder types and multiple brands of hulls. When you go to shoot, you have way to much clutter in your mind. Start with one good load and stay with it. Over time you can experiment but keep it simple to start.

As mentioned above, I try and stay with the same wad used by the original manufacturer made either by the original manufacturer or a clone. This will ensure that you use a tapered wad in a tapered hull and a straight wad in a straight hull.

I have found that clone made wads work well except for the STS hull when loaded on my MEC Grabber. Here, I use only Remington made TGT12S (stitched) wads as they go through my MEC Grabber with ease.

If you are just beginning to reload, I suggest that you select one hull (STS), one wad (TGT12S), one powder (Alliant Red Dot) and one primer (Remington 209P).

This wad is for 1 oz. of shot which is fine for singles and short handicap. According to the Alliant web site, 17.0 grains of Red Dot will yield 1150 fps/8300 psi and 18.0 grains of Red Dot will yield 1200 fps/8700 psi.

Good luck.

5. IM390

IM390 Member

Go to the library and try to find a copy of "Shotgun Stuff" or pick up old copies of Shotgun Sports magazine and read anything you can find by Don Zutz. He wrote quite extensively about that subject, from type of powder to enlongated chamber throat, to choke and wads. His favorite powder was solo 1250, wad windjammer and hull remington.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

IM390- Yes, you can learn some things if you carefully read the shotgun stuff written by Don Zuts. You can eventually figure out that he did not test his ideas, he just made them up and printed them. Writing 3-4 articles each month for different magazines took most of his time. He had little time left to shoot anything.

The few times I talked with him, he had to leave for an appointment every time his conclusions were questioned. Don was a very knowledgeable rifle shooter but he did very little with shotguns except write articles about them.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.