1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Pedal Jams Powder Baffle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Yes, a single wad pedal got cut off when cutting open some poor quality reloads. Poured the powder back into the powder tube and did not notice the pedal go with the powder. Eventually, the pedal worked its way to the bottom of the tube and restricted powder flow AND restricted powder drain. Really dumb!
    Now I have got to figure out how many shells have "less" powder. Only 250 all dated and marked... Think I will just shoot them for practice and see what happens. So some one help me not feel so dumb... what have you done?? Fred

2. don q

don q TS Member

Well, I poured a 25# bag of shot into my hopper which holds only a bag when empty and it had about 2 inches already in it. Didn't salvage much of what was spilled and shot was in every crack and die. don q

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When I had a P-W, I drained the shot and forgot to close the drain valve. I'm sure you know what happened the next time I filled the shot hopper...

Ed

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I always put more powder in the hopper than shot so I will run out of shot first. experience is a good teacher.

Weighing will get most of them, probably not all. So I would shoot them for practice.

Unloader, you should give Fred more credit than that.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- Most of us that use a PW have made the mistake you mentioned. I have done it 6-7 times. Each time, the same thing happens.

I flipped the switch for my hydraulic system and nothing happened. I though the motor had a problem. I disconnected all the hoses and pulled the unit from the lower cabined where it is built in. The last thing I did was unplug the unit, but when I tried that, I discovered it was already unplugged.

Pat Ireland

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont reload if your that old and dont drive rick

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

John Malcom hit it right on. Use your scale and check check check. I use a digital and a triple balance beam for double checking. Then if not sure, follow Garys advice, cut them open ( with his unloader of course. It works)

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I am not sure that an electronic scale [yes I have one -- if John returned it] is that sensitive if 12 grains of powder dropped instead of 17.5. A couple of pieces of shot extra can make up for the difference of powder. I think the idea of a strainer or screen when pouring the powder back from a cut open shell is the smart way to go. Fred

9. mulls427

mulls427 Member

electronic scale worked great for me using the control group method! :)
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.