1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**WAD LUBRICANT ?? **

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ismah

ismah Member

Do you lubricate your wads? I never have and would like to hear some input.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Yes, I use turn signal fluid.

Eric

3. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Yeah, KY Jelly works great!

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I used powdered graphite several years ago. Gives you about 75 feet more per second. I had Neil test them :)

Clyde

6. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

LOLOL! I knew some old timers that swore by a dusting of white graphite (motor mica) on their wads. Never tried it myself, but it's supposed to work very well.

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Several years ago there was a wad that was "lubricated". After loading your hands felt slick. They were black in color. I think they were Hawk brand, but I could be wrong. Jimmy Borum

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

O M G.........

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just when you thought a new level of silliness could not be reached...........

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Mica dust indeed works. I use it in old guns to keep the speed up with low pressure loads. Gives me about 50 more fps on average. BUT, it's a pain in the ass, as it's a bit messy.

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mica-Wad-Slick-8-oz-jar/productinfo/MICA/

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I dust my wads with "Motor Mica" when loading Federal papers with my favorite Annie Oakley and meat shoot loads. Does it do any good breaking targets? Don't know, but, like Clyde, above, I did see an increase in FPS over my chronograph. I'm not very scientific, just stuck on the "old" ways. It's the way I was taught to load them. It has always been done that way, so, that's they way I will continue to do it... My minds made up, so don't try to confuse me with facts..LOL..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a odd question at all. If it would make wads go through my Mec wad guide easier...sign me up!

milt

14. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Hawk wads WOW been a while since I have seen them. Weren't they made in the Morrison I'll. Area?

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hawk wads were made in Gary,South Dakota. I still have them and they still work great. The Blue DRXL1's from Downrange are of Hawk design. Downrange bought Hawk out.

Some of the wads we used in the past were not made with the plastics we have today. Some had PVC in them and they turned sticky after some time. We used the mica to make them slick again. Makes them go easier through the loader with less chance of cocking and messing up the skirt. I'm not sure what other benefits it would have.

Ajax

16. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Frictional coefficient is inversely proportional to warp potential. Therefore,lubricity x speed X weight of wad/ plastic abrasion potential is equal to Wad Lubricant. This is also dependent upon volcanic eruptions and global warming. If you see Sasquatch this does increase transient fluidity of motion.

Hope that cleared it up for you.

17. Mapper

Mapper Member

Oh yeah, I always used to use that black stuff that came in the lighter fluid cans. Oh Liqui-Moly. Slicked up my barrels with it.

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

How many spark plugs in that puffin wheezy 4360?????

Jim

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I used to lubricate my muffler bearings with motor mica. It gave me at least 5 more miles per gallon.

20. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I load the Federal 12S3 factory wads for handicap and since they are a dark purple color if you look closely you see a very light dusting of white powder on them right out of the bag. On a Mec loader with the black wad guide after you load about 200 you will notice a white dust buildup as well.

So Federal apparently puts something on them in the manufacturing process.