1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad hoppers what do you think?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Feb 22, 2013.

1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

So it started out my son was looking for a project for high school shop class. Anyway, a freind and fellow shooters that worked professionally for a cabinet shop was here and said........"Hey I will build a few of these"

So here they are a set of nice custom designed set of hoppers made from MDF. They looked so nice I thought we should throw some nice urethane car paint on them. Well we figure they will hold 1000 wads and 500 hulls, we have not filled them yet but will be dang close.

They came out so nice two other shooters stopped by and wanted a set. Heck we have him making 5 sets already. He asked me if I thought people would buy these? IDK. Obviously they couldnt be painted like this but anyone could put them together and paint them. Do you guys think there would be a market for them if they were priced right and were professional cut quality?? If so I could ramp him up to build some.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why not test the market here?

Figure out the cost you would need to sell them at and offer a kit form and a finished product form. You might be supprised what guys will spend for quality items that work with their loading set up. If you get a few bites you will know you are in the ballpark and maybe should look for other markets. No bites then you know it is a neat thing but not much of a market.

Nice work BTW.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

They look very nice but appear to be attached. I've only used Mec's and 366's and found that it's easier if you can put a container of hulls on one side and then the container of wads on the other side. Hopefully I'm not making a mountain our of a mole hill. Jackie B.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

They are two seperate boxes. You may be seeing a reflection in that high gloss finish :)

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Like Wolfram says, figure out how much you would need to sell them for and see what the reaction to it is. In my experience, if it's something people would be interested in buying, you'll open trapshooters to find you have 10 PM's from guys wanting to purchase a set. Offer options of a "build it yourself" kit or a completed set. You could even offer different sizes, just scale your current design down.

Good Luck.

Josh

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Wolfram I agree, We thought about it and everybody can go buy a 4x8 sheet but by the time they waste product and figure it out we just thought if the price was right they may just buy it as a kit.

Those cardboard ones sell for 13-15 bucks and last a couple years at best around my loader. Was thinking around 25 a box is that to cheap?? would people be interested?? You would have to mass produce to keep that price point to be worth while.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nice furniture, but I'd have to double the size of my loading bench to have room to put them!

Keller

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Mac sounds good. He is sitting here and said if we get enough interest he will run a big batch. Since we have to order 5 x 10 sheet goods lets see how many we need before we commit. Just so everyone else is aware these would require some assembly. They would be WAY to expensive to ship fully assembled. But I guess if somebody wanted to pay the shipping for them assembled he would have no objections to that but I cant imagine it would be worth the extra shipping.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It's a question of "Is it worth my time?"

I don't think you can ask us what you should charge for your product. If you can sell them for $25 a piece and feel like you and your son aren't wasting your time, then yes, sell them for $25, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

It's also a matter of if the market will support it. You do have a superior made product, as compared to the cardboard versions. But at the same time, there is some minor assembly required, which could chase some away.

The trick in making and selling merchandise similar to this is finding that sweet spot: the spot where you feel you are making enough money to make it worth your time, but not charging so much for your product that nobody buys it.

Sorry for the lesson in economics, I always get a little excited when I see other people doing things like this. I've had the mind of an entrepreneur since I was a young teenager...

Josh

10. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

What is the weight and dimension of an assembled hopper packaged for shipping...? What zip code would it ship from...? Are there color or finish options or just the red as shown...?

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

mnguns they are 18" x10x10 but that is the ASSEMBLED size. They will ship in a 3x12x24" box. They will require assembly and will be the natural MDF panel color. Buyer can paint to desired color.

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Looking at the flat rate box of 16.85 fits it ships. May be able to get two in one box. I ordered a batch of those boxes and am going to do a trial fit. If you cant parcel post may be the way to go.

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

What's he doing to seal the edges on the boards? Why not plywood?

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

The MDF is not like plywood it is a very fine product that finishes nice, its costs more than industrial board but finishes nicely. The builder of these builds professional store displays. His quality is second to none.

15. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Very nice. Are they put together with glue and braid nails?

16. himark

himark Well-Known Member

They are glued and pin nailed. However, they fit tightly and can be glued and clamped if the end user doesnt have a pin nailer.

17. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I would be interested as long as shipping isn't too bad.

18. andybull

andybull Active Member

Please do school me on MDF, I was in the cabinet manufacturing business for 39 years, but always willing to learn. The first thing I thought when you brought up the subject of assembly was, is this fellow just doing lapped joints? For marketting and ease of assembly I would recommend he rabbets, or tongue and grooves the components. This is the only way to easily assemble the pieces without the need to jig, or bringing in extra hands to help achieve good joints. I would like to see closeups of the raw components, ie edges after machining, prior to shipping.

Is the product he is using moisture resistant enough that assuming it is not sealed, It won't be swelling and coming apart after a few months?

Regards,

Andy Baez

19. trufan

trufan Member

I am the one that built these. I didn't know himark was going to put these on the forum just yet but, I can tell you that these are put together using rabbets and grooves. I put them together using glue and an air brad nailer. They go together pretty easy using this method. I didn't try just glue and clamps but I believe that it would work. I will try one and see. The two in the picture were made from 1/2" mdf panels that were leftover from an economical pantry I made for someone that wanted something cheap and paintable. It had been sitting in my un-heated garage for 2 years unsealed and unpainted but not exposed to weather. I assume no one will have their reloader "outside" so I would think they would last quite a long time unsealed or unpainted as long as they do not get water directly on them. I would recommend they be painted with a good coat of latex paint so that if they do get water splashed on them it could be wiped up before it has a chance to soak in and cause damage. The ones in the picture have been given extra special treatment by himark as he filled the nail holes and spent a couple hours sanding and painting them with auto body paint and 2 coats of clear. I am not looking to get rich selling these but thought there might be a market for them since the cardboard ones sell for over half what these cost (less shipping of course).
    trufan

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Aside from looking good, they look like they will be very functional. After you figure out the cheapest shipping, please post the final delivered cost to zip code
    48067. I will buy two hoppers I went through the shipping costs problems with my counters so I understand your dilemma.

Chuck

Search tags for this page

cardboard wad hoppers