1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad hit the clay!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I was shooting yesterday and blew a 25 by lifting my head and shooting over the target. The funny thing about it, though, was that my DownRange wad hit the clay! I've shot a lot of trap, and have watched a lot of trap, and I've never seen this before.

How many of you have seen this happen?
    Mark

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Kiner has a video of a wad breaking the target.

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Broke one with the wad (1st bird of doubles).

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes, I was the scorekeeper and scored it DEAD the rule book does not say the target must be broken by the shot charge only broken or lost.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Last Summer I saw that happen with another shooter (the wad just bounced off the target) and also saw a target fly out to the yardage stake (an 1/4" diameter rod) "land" on the top, and break. Finally, a nighthawk wandered to close to a registered shoot last Summer as well. This Summer, zilch.

Bob Falfa

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've seen it once.....

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Ross,

Interesting point so how do you score this??

Shooter on skeet had a wild target come out and hit his barrel then broke..so by your rule it should be scored broke :)

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Section VII, B. A dead target has to be fired upon........

Wayne

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A few decades back I was shooting with ole RedDot1 aka Roger Smith. It appeared he clearly missed the target but the wad then hit it. The target fell in half.

10. willing

willing Member

Be sure to use ORANGE wads!

Bill

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Once in MD. I cleanly missed a target. It flew another maybe 15 or 20 ft. and smoked. Nearest we could figure a shooter from the adjacent trap got me one!!

12. shrek

shrek Active Member

once while shooting sporting clays I hit a target with the wad, it did not break, but the whole squad of my buddies said they had never seen it before and jokingly gave me a half a point for it. we were shooting just for fun.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

himark: As wayneo said the target was fired at he just missed it with the shot pattern but broke it with the wad. Everybody including myself were laughing and all agreed that it was legally broken. Have seen wads bounce off targets too but that's the only one that I've seen broken by the wad. Ross

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

A few years back, a friend of mine killed a pheasant. When he cleaned it,no shot was located anywhere on the body. Upon close inspection,the wad went in through the rear end to kill the bird. This was a paper fiber wad before we used plastic.
    Clyde

15. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Once at KY State Trapshoot I broke a target I had felt I missed due to shoot too fast. It went a few feet and broke in 6 or 8 pieces. Next guy paused and promptly missed. After we finished he told me that I did miss but the wad broke the target. I appreciated him balancing the squad out.

16. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

Shot at a target in Vandalia once. Puller started to call L O S but never got the T out because it broke in half. May have been the wad or a shooter on the next trap. Everyone on the squad saw it and started to laugh and the puller corrected himself and called DEAD target.

17. TF

TF Active Member

Back in the mid 60's when everyone we knew was just starting to reload we used mono wads to avoid stacking the old type of wads. Those things did break a few targets. Still have some on the shelf..

Tom Frazer

18. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

If you shoot long enough you will see this several times. Somewhere in my photos I have a pic of the shot and the wad hitting a first bird in doubles. Cool pic.

19. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I shot a crow off of a fence post several years ago, when I recovered the crow(to use for extra decoys) I noticed something strange in his mouth so i proped it open to find the wad had stuck in his mouth. Lucky for me I had a friend along to confirm this as I knew no body would ever beleive it. I wish i had taken a picture as this has to be very rare.

20. Fishstyx

Fishstyx TS Member

I did it this past April in Great Falls MT at the State Team Championship Shoot. Singles on Sat. I was on post 5 and got a hard left so a straight away for me, pullled the trigger and knew I shot over it. As I lowered the gun from my shoulder, the target broke in 4 or 5 pieces as the wad went through the target. My shooting buddies are tired of this story being repeated at every chance! Factory Fiochii, #8 11/8 oz 1165 FPS shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best videos on trap shootinghow to hit first clay in doubles trap

hitting clay with wad

how hit the clay

trap scoring break clay with wad