1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wad height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I am loading 16.9 grs, of Green Dot under a Claybuster 1 Oz. wad. In a Win AA case the reloards look like factory loads. In a Rem STS, the crimp is slightly domed. Is there a very slightly shorter wad anyone can suggest. I am already using 40lbs. wad pressure. Perfoprmance in both Win and Rem cases is excellent with a Chrony speed of about 1145. Patterns are perfect as tested on a patterning board.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, you don't need that much wad pressure in STS hulls - in fact, you don't need any. I'd suggest simply adjusting your crimp dies.

Ed

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Down Range WAA12-1 is the best 1oz wad for AA's and the XL-1 is perfect for Rem cases...my 2 cents.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The DR XL-1 wad yields slightly dished crimps for me in Gun Club hulls with 16.8 grn of Claydot, 1 oz of shot and absolutely no wad pressure. It should work fine for you.

MK

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

All the wads I have used have the same overall length.

6. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Just go to a 1 1/8 oz wad of 1 oz is to long.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Backwoods,

Gene Solomon recommeded the same thing.

Thanks,
    Tony Cangemi

8. 1240fps

1240fps TS Member

I too have had some problems with wad height but the other way around. AA were difficult with bulky powders. (Clays, Red Dot, Green Dot etc) I called Dixie at Spolar in Ca. and she let me know this is a common issue and that their 12SL 1oz gold wad is slightly shorter than the Win pink 12SL. I order a case and all problems have been solve. Remember that if you want to use their wad with a very dense powder (Titegroup, 700X, etc) you may not have enought column height and have a dished in crimp? Spolar's wad is made by Downrange and is an excellent wad. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.