1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad for Top Guns???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have been loading Rem hulls since I started shooting useing the orange Clay busters but due to availiblity Rem hulls, I am going to change over to Top Guns. I know there is a cardboard base in the Topguns and it is probly in load data but I know you guys are chalked full of info and I will have an answer before I get done loading the last of the hulls and wads I have tonight. I am loading 17.4 grains of promo and 1 1/8oz.

Thanks all!!

Jerry

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

When I load Top Guns I use the Fed 12S-3 wad.

3. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Ditto on 12S3's

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Contact Alliant. Jeff

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use 1 to 1- 1/2 grains more powder than what you use in the Rems. Try several diff wads to see which gives you a good crimp. Works for me.
    1oldtimer

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Fed. 12S3 or claybuster clone

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

09newbie:

Older Alliant manuals (mid 90's) have published data for Top Gun hulls using Red Dot and Green Dot. As you're probably aware, Promo is a direct replacement for Red Dot.

Using Top Gun hulls (or paper base wad Estates), 18.5 grains of Promo behind a 12S3 wad pushes 1 1/8 oz. of lead at 1145 fps. With those components you can use a Fed 209A, a Win 209, or a Rem 209P. The chamber pressure varies from 7,500 to 9,500 psi depending on the primer.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in other loads, specific manual references, or a hard copy of the applicable pages.

sissy

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have been loading this hull for over 5 years for 16yd. I use the Claybuster red figure 8 replacement for the federal hull. I drop 18.2 of Promo with a Fio primer and 1 1/8 oz shot. This combo just crushes targets. The wad is easy to load and this combo gives a great crimp. You will save yourself some $ on this wad over the 12S3.

GS

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Use 16.8 grains of Red Dot 1 1/8 oz shot and a Down Range DRRF8 Wad with a Rem 209 primer. This is the Fig 8 clone. It loads beautifully and shoots easy with devistating breaks from the 16 with .015 choke and .025 from the 25 yard line.

I have been loading for 50 years and I have loaded just about everything there is to load and I have always wondered why loaders, including myself, don't take the example the manufacturere sets with ther product. Remington, Winchester and everybody else uses a certain component for a reason. Their reputation depends on it and their engineers know more about what works well than we ever will. When I can I use a Winchester wad or clone in Win hulls and the same for Rem. Works every time with less problems. For instance, I loaded Gun Clubs with a recommended wad and got a lot of cocked wads and "poofs" on the firing line. When I went to the wad type Rem uses, these problems went away.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

In the Federal paper base hulls, I use the 12S3 for 1 1/8 and the 12S0 for 1 oz. Claybuster or Downrange clones work for 12S3 and Claybuster clones for the 12S0, since I haven't seen a direct clone of the 12S0 from anyone else yet. Gold Medal data would be a good starting point, plus a call to Alliant for Promo, Red Dot, or Green Dot load verification/recommendation.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Downrange XL-1 works great for 1 1/8 oz loads in federal hulls...

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Ok guys have the new replacement wad for federal hulls on my list to pick up.

Thanks to all for your input.

Jerry

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jerry, the one feller says he uses the RED 8 wad from Claybuster. I have used that wad for loading Federal papers as that is the wad they recommended. I have never tried it in a top gun or in a gold medal as the 1 1/8 wad they say to use is the 12S3 replacement wad or 12SO for the 1 ounce wad. I used to load gun clubs/top guns all the time. Granted the data has always been limited but I have used a chronograph to make sure the velocity was reasonable and never loaded more then 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo. This load spanked targets in that hull as well as 17.00 grains with the 12SO for 1 oz loads. This hull is really underutilized and a great hull to use as it used to be you could get all you want for the picking.

I had a game shooting buddy that loaded 22.0 grains of Green Dot with a WAA12118 ( 1 1/8 oz wad) with a Cheddite primer. It was faster then I wanted but it was very effective with large shot for shooting games. We chronograph the shells and they went about 1275 on average. I loaded those type hulls twice and tossed them. Ron would load them 5 to 7 times! The bases always held together as we would inspect all of them with a flashlight before loading them. It's a good trick to place 300 or 400 on a table and get above them with a flashlight. When looking at so many hulls the odd ones stick right out. If i didn't have 15 of those big plastic storage containers full of STS, AA and federal gold medal I would be loading the top guns as well.

Don't let the base wad issue scare you. As far as I am concerned it is very unlikely if you do not abuse your hulls. I thought my friend Ron was nuts for loading them over and over and he thought I was nuts for tossing them after two reloads.

Be on the safe side like I was. If the hulls are plentiful just load them twice and eject to the ground! data or not I would not be hesitant to try 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo with the old Winchester AA 1 1/8 OZ wad.

Good luck! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.