1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wad failure?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have been shooting waa12 clone wads by claybluster with 1 1/8 oz at 1080 fps and found that these wads are dropping out of flight at about 25 to 30 yards from the gun. shouldn't these be opening more quickly and falling to the ground closer?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My Downrange AA clones go a heck of a long way. 30 yards sounds about right.

5. wlc

wlc Member

Sometime when no one is shooting, take a walk downrange and look at where the wads land. Different types of wads travel different distances. I don't think it means anything, but it's kind of interesting.

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Mostly has to do with the mass of the wad. A heavy wad like a DR XXL really flies, two piece like in Estates hardly make the house.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

We had a 2 peice wad from a federal factory load yesterday shot from station 1.. no wind blowing... and it nearly hit the kid on station 5.. I was pulling and I guess I was the only one who noticed it..

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have seen the wad actually hit the target. (a very bad shot) But the heavy one piece wads do travel 100 ft or more.

What does matter is how the load patterns and I'll bet the low vel combo you have patterns very nicely and really breaks the targets. Don't worry, the shot out ran the wad no problem.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The ld Herter's wads used to out distance them all by far.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Some cheap shells have thin plastic sheets along the sides of the shot column. Sometimes they look like confetti party favors going off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.