1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Equivalents

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Wads, wads, wads. Does anyone publish an equivalency chart for the myriad of wads on the market? There has to be something more accurate than merely guessing, "a 7/8 wad is a 7/8 wad", for example.

My present concern is; I've been fairly "standard" with 7/8 loads and the DRXXL (Pink) wads with Win 209 primers and American Select powder. They've been crushing clays. I've read good things about the Alliant Extra-Lite and I'd like to try it. I have a boat load of the DRXXL (Pink)wads. The Alliant formula page online offers recipes for CB 0178-12, CB 4100-12, and CB 1100-12. All suggesting 15.2 to 15.5 grains for 1200 fps. Nothing for the DRXXL (Pink). How much difference would there be if I used the DRXXL (Pink)?

Larry

2. Ducky

Ducky Member

Check the reloaders info section for crossover info.

3. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

The Downrange site provides a reference that the DRXXL Pink wad replaces 'WAA12L, CB0178-12', which is one of the first wads you mentioned.

Are you using Remington hulls (GC, Nitro, STS)?

I load ~19.8 gn of Int'l Clays (MEC Bushing 31) with 1 oz. of 7.5 into a GC hull with Rem 209 primer and the Downrange Jammer XL1 wad. The Lyman's book shows a faster speed and higher pressure using the Jammer XL1 vs. what the Hodgdon websites says for Winchester style replacement wad WAA12SL.

I'm interested in what you find out, I just purchased the 7/8 oz. charge bar and will pick up some of the pink wads next trip to the supply store.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the wad fits I use it, if the wad goes throuh the reloading machine smoothly I use it, and if the crimp looks good, then that's the wad for me. HMB

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

"If the wad fits I use it, if the wad goes throuh the reloading machine smoothly I use it, and if the crimp looks good, then that's the wad for me."

Don't I wish that was true. Load up a number of real clean loads (that leave the bare minimum in the barrel (control load)). Then load up a number of DIFFERENT hulls using the same components (test loads). Shoot a test load and look at the residue left in the barrel. Clean it with a "control load" and shoot the next test load. I think you'll find the results interesting seeing the difference in the residue left in the barrel from using different hulls. This is why they make different wads.

I shoot a lot of Federal paper reloads and it's amazing to compare the barrel residue after 1 reload and 3 or so reloads.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gee I went 100 straight and my barrel had residue in it. I think I better switch wads, yeah right. HMB

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Here's my present all around load

Winchester AA silver 12 gauge
    American Select powder 18.5 gr
    Win 209 primer
    DRXXL (Pink) wad
    7/8 ounce #7 1/2 Lawrence Magnum Shot
    Formula chart says 7200 psi and 1250fps

I use the same setting with #9 - works out to a hair under an ounce. I like this load and will probably stay with it. I posted my question because I was interested in the Extra-Lite powder that someone was discussing on this board. . However, after reviewing the specs at Alliantpowder.com, I think I'll stay with what I know. I burned 400 of them this weekend with nary a sore spot. This load seems to work well because one of my squad mates on Saturday told me to take it easy on the clays. Seems I was having a good day and pulverizing most of my targets. Felt good to crush them so well and it was particularly nice that someone noticed and said something.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

drxxl pink

import wad equivalents

is dx12 wad equivalent

shotgun wad equivalents

waa12l equilivent wads

wads equivalent to pt1044