1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad effect on pattern?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ray, I think you're closer to the truth than your friend.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The theory behind the eight-petal Windjammer wad design was that because it opened faster and dropped from the shot column sooner, it had less chance of disrupting the pattern as it tumbled away from its payload. I never tested that theory one way or another.

Ed

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I don't think it makes any differences at all. The load is traveling several hundred MPH and either type of plastic "wings" are letting loose darned quick once either type hits air resistance!

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I usually load 4 petal wads for easier loading only. Hap

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I used to believe as you do, however, in recent years have come to the conclusion that wads do make a difference. Al Ljutic's guns came with several "rings" at the choke designed to strip the wad away from the shot as soon as possible. The theory worked well, and the early Ljutic's patterns proved this. I shot Windjammers for several years from the 27 because I bought into this theory. Fast forward to this year. I ran out of Windjammers and only had some Downrange Versalite wads to use for my handicap loads. After loading them and shooting them, I am convinced they give a better pattern than the Windjammers did. Not only do I hit the targets harder with the Versalites, the pattern board bore out my suspicions. The Versalites did throw a more uniform pattern than the Windjammers did. Here is the rub: The Windjammers had a hotter center core than the Versalites did, but had very skimpy patterns in the 5" annular ring. The Versalites, on the other hand, had a great pattern. A decent center core with a MUCH better pattern in the annular ring. These were shot through my .742" Perazzi, Wilkinson barrel, choked to .035". Everything being equal, I will stay with the Versalites.... Just my observations... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen Hap

Visual proof. In all the high speed time-lapse photos I've seen of shotgun blasts, the wad separates from the shot column very shortly after leaving the muzzle.

No matter how far your wad travels, I believe once it all leaves the barrel, the wad has little or no effect on the pattern.

6. jimv

jimv TS Member

Trap2
    what load recipes do you have for the versalite wads.

7. glenns

glenns Member

Hap - very cool picture. How did you take it?

8. BT-99 TBTI

BT-99 TBTI TS Member

I have heard that on windy days you should use a wad that stays with the shot longer to protect it from drifting in the wind. Not sure if it's true or not but I think as fast as shot is moving and the short distance it travels in trap it won't drift. I also think that a wad would catch way more wind than shot can. Any opinoins here?

Ethan P.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

glenns, those photos were taken by Tom, aka "welderman" who posted them here quite some time back. I saved them on my computer and post them on threads such as this one once in a while. Each one is an individual photo taken at varying distances away from the muzzle, not a timed sequence photo of a single load.

Fred, the old Herters Perfect Handicap unslit wads were the heaviest 1-1/8 oz wads I ever tried for trap loads. They also carried much farther downrange too! They musta weighed over 50 grains or real close to that too! I didn't care much for the "perfect" patterns at 40 yards or the added kick either. Hap

Ethan, pattern your loads when the wind blows and you'll have something to tell your buddie that told you that!! Yes, wind will drift the shot!

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I believe that most of the wads' effect on patterns is done within the barrel and a maybe a very short distance upon exiting the barrel. The effects of higher velocities on some wads and patterns is notable. The Versalite is a favorite of mine. Well constructed wads show their effects on the patterning boards. I'd be worried about a wad that interferes with the shot after leaving the muzzle, since it could possibly disrupt the pattern. Once the shot gets out, it should be on it's own and the wad has done what it needed to do. Since some wads seem to travel further, it may give the impression that there is more at work here. There may be a few exceptions in some loads like the Federal Turkey loads with that oddball tube type wad, but in regular target loads, I'd be surprised if I were wrong. In other words, Ray, you are probably on track. I'd add that good HARD shot will have a big effect on the longer yardage patterns.

The Versalite is a GREAT wad and I have used it for many years. I'm glad that Downrange has chosen to continue its manufacture. For loading data, check the powder companies websites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
affect a shotshell wad has on pattern
affects of a cushioned wad on patterns

effects of wads on shot pattern

how do wad slits affect shot patterns
plasticwadseffectonpattern
shotgun wad design and patterning
wads hap video

wadshapvideo