1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Differences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is the difference between the Downrange XL-1 wad and the Downrange RT12 wads? I know the RT is a replica wad of the Remington TGT12 but which would be my best choice for 16yd trap?

2. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I love the XL-1 as my basic wad for 16-yard and first shot of doubles with any compatible powder. Lately I have been using 16.5 grains of Promo and a Fiocchi wad and 1 ounce of shot. I have also used International Clays in place of the Promo. Great wad.

Buckeye

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm thinking of this as my load.

1 oz of shot.
    DR XL-1 Wad
    16 gr of e3 powder
    STS hulls
    Fiocchi primer

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The difference is mainly the compressional rate of the rear wad portion..Kevin would be better at explaining that to you.. While similar..vastly different as FPS change.. At the 1200 fps range.. I doubt if it matters..

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The two wads are slightly different in overall height; that will make a difference in the component stack and thus in the quality of the crimp. The RT-12 is about 1/16" longer than the XL-1.

I load 16.9 grains of ClayDot over a CCI primer using a RT-12 wad in a Gun Club hull and the stack height is perfect. If I switch to a XL-1 wad, Fiocchi primers and the same powder charge, the stack is a bit short and the crimps are concave.

In a AA hull, the XL-1 is perfect and the RT-12 is a bit too long.

For the Remington hulls with ClayDot powder I prefer the RT-12 wads.

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.