1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad comparison

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jeff.Buchheit, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit Member

I normally use the Winchester knock offs to reload. Do some of these other wads actually improve patterns?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Probably not, but the patterning board is the way to find out for sure. HMB

mg1polo thanked this.
  3. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit Member

Thanks for the response!

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Some folks believe so, but I have my doubts a wad can have much effect on patterns.

5. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I believe there is empirical evidence wads can and do improve patterns. The plastic wads we use today with shot cups have significantly improved patterns over what came before. Try using fiber wads without obdurating over-power cups and see if your patterns degrade compared to a modern plastic one piece wad.

6. Hinch

Hinch Member

I believe there is a difference in wad pattern but that is my opinion.Some wads are softer than others and a 4 pedal will throw a different pattern than a 8 pedal.

2500 HD thanked this.
  7. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

So if I take all my 4 petal wads and make them into 8 petal wads, my scores will go up? And if I only make them 6 petal wads are only good on windy days!!!! Tighter pattern!!!!!! Shorter shotstring!!!

8. T.P.S.

T.P.S. Member

I don't believe the petals have any thing to do with it. I do believe that the wads biggest job is to be fitted with the right hull and seats properly with the bore of your gun.

Hinch thanked this.
  9. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I can look but I think I have 2 bags of full choke wads and maybe a bag of hunting modified wads left

T.P.S is pretty much on

I have not been on a pattern board in a while, But never recall one wad being a better pattern than others,,
    I do think some wads will inspire more confidence though.

DGH

10. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I don't there there is any evidence showing the softness of the plastic used or the number of petals in the wad have any impact on patterns. I thought the main reason people use the 8-petal wads was they went into their reloader easier than the 4-petal wads. The biggest thing impacting patterns is the quality of the shot used. Harder, rounder shot will pattern better than softer, less round shot.

The main purpose of the wad is to separate the shot from the powder. The reason our modern wads have such a large space between the powder and the shot is a holdover from the days when black powder was used. The volume of black powder it took to get a column of shot going was much, much greater than modern smokeless powder. The 2 3/4"and 3" shell lengths we use today are a holdover from the old black powder days. The reason the crush sections on our plastic wads are so tall is to take up the space formerly occupied by black powder.

Hinch thanked this.
  11. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. Hinch,
    Have you patterned these two wads?
    Same load, same gun, no other changes other than
    the 4 petal vs the 8 petal wad.
    Once you do, I don't believe that you will think
    the same way as you do now.
    Please do this, I'm not sharing my results yet.
    MG

Hinch thanked this.
  12. Hinch

Hinch Member

No I have not but I will as soon as i get a chance.I guess I was told wrong from another shooter if that's the case.Thanks alot mg1polo and To all.I guess I will be sticking to 1 wad instead of a variety.

13. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

As long as you are using plastic cup wads the results will be very similar. Accurate powder measure, leading to consistent velocity , and quality shot make the most difference.

Rebel Sympathy and KS-OKIE thanked this.
  14. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

+1

Rebel Sympathy thanked this.
  15. beagle1

beagle1 Member

I've patterned the various wads extensively. Distribution of pellets is the key. Some patterns are definitely more patchy than others. I prefer the DR spolar gold WJ. Obviously the proper load combination of primer, powder & wad is needed. Obviously the best shot possible is of foremost importance and assumed a given. Hard to beat 18 g RD, Spolar WJ, 9/8oz & W209.
    The OEM WJ patterns great too but is a pain to load as compared to the Downrange versions. The 1 oz. OEM WJ2 is easy to load though.
    Just my past experience

16. corbindallasmultipass

corbindallasmultipass Member

do you find a difference using the same wad with different brands of powder?