1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Comparison

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 2badnw, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2badnw

2badnw TS Member

TGT vs 12SL, your opinion for best all around ?

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I load nothing but remington hulls, sts,nitro game & gun club, they load the same & last almost, the same use TGT rems'd for 1oz, Downrange Blue for 11/8, & Downrange pinks for 7/8 oz---will be using downrange if their new wads are as good as their previous products, claybuster's crap up my barrel too much & I'm a bit lazy, I shoot an auto-loader & hate to clean it more often than once a month & if you have to use a lot cleaning supplies to get your barrel clean --duh what's the economy in cheap wads----Phil

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

White Windjammers with the little hinkies connected around the top!

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the TGT. Only because I seem to get more consistent crimps when using it in a 1oz load in STS/Nitro/AA's.

I only use the SL for my 7/8 oz loads in AA hulls - get too much crimp variation when using it in STS/Nitro/AA's when I up the shot load.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a very strong preference for the TGT over the 12SL. I use STS hulls and the TGT fits better and patterns better for me.

6. 2badnw

2badnw TS Member

So, it sounds to me that the TGT loads a little more consistant.

What about target performance, which seems to hit harder ?

Thanks

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

What about target performance, which seems to hit harder ?

Let me assume by hit harder you are referring to pattern - In my experience you cannot make a general assumption as to which wad will pattern better - all loads/guns need to be tested to determine which works best for that particular combination.

Disclaimer aside.........my son shoots olympic bunker and I reload his 7/8oz international loads using the pink SL wad in a AA hull. He has no problem breaking targets (for high average) and that is one game where pattern makes a HUGE difference.

Buy a bag of each - load em and test em.

Then buy a bulk order of the ones you prefer based on your test results.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like the TGT wads in STS hulls. I like how the wad always seems to get real close to the target. Sometimes it looks like the wad is braking the targets. I received Downrange samples of the TGT I will load them up for the new years shoot, I like the stitched Rem wads they go on and stay on the wad guide. If Downrange performs I will give them a case run. I had 12sl when I picked up my loader (1500). used them up fine. I buy what they have locally right now. TGT 12SL sometimes claybusters, I have requested Downrange from my local guy. Will see.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Since receiving all those different samples from Downrange and patterning them I'm sticking with them. They seem to go through my reloader easier as well.

10. 2badnw

2badnw TS Member

I have had very good success with the AA12SL pink wad. I just wanted input on another wad with an equal reputation. I purchased one bag of the TGT's and have loaded 500 and they load with ease on my Spolar Gold, very impressed.

11. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I find the downrange go in easier, but they also tend to poof in cold weather.
    I use the silver claybuster wads for 7/8ths in a remiongton hull.
    Works well.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I recently shot the Downrange samples of the TGT in Gun Club cases loaded with Solo 1000 powder loaded to approx. 1250 FPS and was impressed with the results. Incidently, the temp. that day was about 28 degrees. Great breaks at 16 yd and first doubles. and they load easier then the originals with the slight flair at the shot cup and the lack of the petal stiffeners. Wish we had a dealer nearby..the postage to ship them in by the case is a killer, about fifteen bucks a case.

Big Jack

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer the TGT over the 12SL for Remington hulls. That being said, I like to use the original Windjammer 11/8oz. wads instead of the TGT wads for this hull. Why? They seem to load a nicer shell, and they seem to pattern better. My target breaks are much better with the Windjammers than they are with the TGT wads....Just my preference....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

BIGGER the Wad the better

15. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have sat down and split the fingers of the wads in half lengthwise which makes 8 fingers instead of 4,loaded a bunch up just to see how they worked,gave a bunch to my dad who never did know,and never noticed a differance.all you can do is see what works best for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.