1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad comparison please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We are currently using the orange AA ounce and an eighth in my STS hulls. I am satisfied withe that set up except i wish the hull to be a bit less full. Would a "Versalite" give me any additional room, more so than the orange AA? I do not have one to compare. I am using a stingy 16.6 Titewad now and when I go to green dot for the summer it will be stuffed and puffy at the gills.

Ok, if not versalite pick another. Two of us loading here and we go thru a couple of cases a season. I do not change the loader, just the components to get the desired effect.
    mia_2008_030328.jpg

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Downrange---DRA-12 1-1/8 All I load is Red and Green Dot powders

Easy loading on Mec 9000 and RCBS Grand makes good looking

shell

park

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jack, I don't have my notebooks from when I was loading Blue Magics with (Hornady) Versalite back in the late Stone Age, but if Downrange has not changed the dimensions, you'll have a scooch more volume to work with than with the WT12/WAA12 you are using now.

TW & GD are abt the same amount of 'bulky' (VMD of .130 v. .126), but I'd guess you're using 19-19½gn of GD?

Bob

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack...
    Bob is correct. The 2 wads that work the best for me in an STS hull with 22gr. green dot are Versalite and the original Windjammer 11/8oz wad. I prefer the Versalites. Both will crimp everything in there with no problems and makes a very nice looking load....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. razor

razor TS Member

jack, i load all my handcap with the versalite wad in a sts hull but i also load my second shot dbls with the downrange xl 1 1/8 it's a dark blue wad and it's cheaper in price than the versalites. both wads are great and both will give you more room than the WT12 orange wad. stay warm, razor

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Go Downrange. I get better loads and less plastic fouling in barrels over Claybuster. No experience with Versalite.

HJH

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have had excellent results with the DR Versalite wad..but if your crimps are puffy..a simple adjustment to the wad seater will give you that tiny bit more you seek.. and yes.. the Versalite wad has a wee bit more room in the payload area.. It also has a deep skirt by the powder cup that seals well in the larger bores..

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Jack try the Winchester yellow F114 wad. It may be just what the Doctor ordered. Send me your address and I will send you a small bag of them to try.

Don

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I 'm sorry I've been tardy coming back to this. I have been off in some "la-la" land" and not paying attention. But thanks to all of you for affirming what I had hoped to get from Versalites. I learned about those from Scot Gens. Scot, besides being one of the best shooters in the country, travels with his supplies trailer and sells what he has at shoots. And I waited a bit too long to pick up a case of those from him last summer. Adn settled for the AAs. But I got leery of the wad and the tightness as it seated and preferred not to seat it further. TW powder develops some significant pressure and to that I did not care to ask for more that I could not test. But I think I need to try those. I have been trying to find Gens and he is evidently not in our cyberspace. That's ok, a lot of shooters are not.

Don. You bet

Jack Swanson

P.O. Box 303

Prescott, WI 54021

Bob. I use a 26 bushing for the TW and about a 30 for the GD. From memory on the GD. Too cold to do chrono work here. So, using data from last summer and memory from last summer. My MX15 seems to like the loads. the .736 bore and the unsingle definitely send less felt recoil.

Mike. As you know, I am faced with the decision of going for it with the beauteous MX15
    mia_2008_0303190.jpg
    or sticking with the venerable MX3
    mia_2008_0303201.jpg
    fo rthe upcoming season. When April first comes I will hit it hard withe the 15 and hope for the best. If it is close, I'm on board for the season. So far, the comparisons of the two seem identical. Perhaps a bit longer to get to the trigger. But all the rest is the same. POI, weight, cast off, LOP, all the same. Rib picture a bit different since I can figure 8 the beads on the MX15. Bulky winter clothes make the gun feel funky, but when I put them both up with a T-shirt only and close my eyes, I cannot tell which gun I have in my hands.

We are loading winter loads right now and my SIL is doing most of the shooting. Both of my index fingers get a bit cranky due to lack of circulation. And today is a shooting day but is currently zero on the thermo on my deck. Our winter load packs up nicely with the TW and the orange AA. Happy with that. But I'll be shooting GD this summer. and it is bulkier. I hate changing the loader. Once you do, the changes never stop being necessary. I select components to fill the hull cavity and crimp perfectly (or near so). My shootin bud Denny has a Spolar and he does produce some dynamite stuff. He understands his machine and reloading better than I. He shoots better too.

Jack

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

If you can find any of the old red PC wads they seem to load the best for me with 1 1/8 loads in all hulls.
    They seem to leave a perfect amount of room for a good crimp with out the wad ever opening the crimp over time.

I think there is a aftermarket version of this wad but don't know who makes it offhand.

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I love the DR XL series for bulkier powders. The blue for 1-1/8 and neon green for 1 oz. Both are fabulous with Clays and bulkier.

For really small volume powders like 700X and E3 I have found my crimps just dished enough to not make me happy. Nothing that does not perform well, but not factory looking either. For those powders my crimps look better with OEM or CB wads.

12. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

I use downrange figure 8 clones in my gun clubs , sts greens and nitro 27's , excellent crimp , looks like factory ( using international clays ) . thanks Phil Burton #9502565

13. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

14. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Jack that is a nice 15, I sold one just like it this week. The wads will be in the mail Monday.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.