1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad Collapsing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been reloading sts 20 ga hulls with rem primers, 18 grains of longshot, Winchester waa20 wads, and 7/8 oz new west coast shot. Loading on a P/W 800+ and not a single problem with the reloads. I switched to Clay Buster cb1078-20 (waa20 replica) and the petals of the wad are collapsing inward when I set the wad. I have adjusted the wad preasure up and down, assuming that is the problem, but it does it regardless of the ammount of wad preasure. These are the older cb1078-20 wads that were made to work in place of the old waa20 wad vs the newer ones that are tapered at the bottum to fit inside of the basewad in the AAHS hulls. I can not imagine that is the problem since the STS hulls are one piece. Any way, when the shot is dropped at the next station the shot drop tube is crushing the inward collapsed wad petals and depositing shot on the outside of the wad. Certainly this could be a dangerous situation since I am aufully high on preasure with this load already. Any advise on what the problem could be would be very helpfull. I have about 4K more of the claybuster wads and hate to through them away, but will if I can not find a solution.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't know how to fix the problem with the press. Maybe you can trade off the wads to someone with a Mec press, it seats the wad and drops the shot on the same station which keeps the petals in the right place. HMB

3. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

If you'll very carefully check , I think you'll find that the wad ram is "catching" in the wad petals . If you want to stay with the CB wads , you may have to chamfer the end of your wad ram enough to clear the petals as the ram enters the wad .

Charlie

4. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

what hmb said.

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

In 30 years of reloading I have run into this problem before. First thing you do is double check the red wad guide fingers, be sure one or more is not damaged. Next, just take a bag of wads and empty the bag of wads into your cloths dryer, run on normal for about five minutes, remove the wads and they will all be opened like a flower, reload now with no problem.

I know there are some lazy reloaders out there that refuse to do this, those people just need to go buy the factory wads and pay the extra expense.

This works very well, try it for yourself, I'm sure you will like the results. And no there is no cleanup or any problem with the dryer after doing this. I've done it on and off for 30 years.

I reload on P/W reloaders in 12 and 20 guage.

Tom Strunk

6. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Thanks for all the replies:

GordonWood - I checked and the the wad ram is not coming in contact with the petals while seating the wad. The problem is occuring once the wad enters the hull.

Tom Strunk - The wad guide fingers look brand new, so I am going to try the drier trick. I talked to Clay Buster this morning and they suggested the same thing, only using the wifes hair dryer instead of the laundry room dryer.

The folks at claybuster said that the newer version of the wads should not have the same problems. I guess I will find out in a few days, I have 2K more on there way right now.

Thanks for the advice,

Matt Stockwell

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Good Matt --

You are a smart feller, but use the dryer not the hair blower, you will post back and give us your results, right??

Also for your information I use as well as most of my friends (except Hap) use Clay Buster wads for almost all of our reloading. Many very high scores shot from all events using this wad in 12 guage trap and Sporting Clay events.

Good luck --

Tom Strunk

8. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Tom Stunk - The drier trick did open up the petals a little, but they are still colapsing inside of the hull. This leads me to believe that it is just an issue with the older version of this wad. I have newer version wads showing up today or tommorrow. Hopefully they will work. I really don't want to be stuck paying for winchester wads, but will if nothing else works.

By the way, I talked to the folks at claybuster and they confirmed that they did redesign the 20 ga wad in March of 2008. The new design allows the wad to better fit inside of the new base wad in the AAHS hulls. They had previously changed the 12 ga wads in 2007 to fix the problem of them hanging up on the base wad. If you want to check the age of your wads, you can find a small white sticker on the bag. The first 2 numbers are the month, the second 2 numbers are the day and the fifth number is the year (7-2007, 8-2008, ect.). Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.