1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad choice for WW Grey Hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickA, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

I have about 1000 Winchester grey hulls that I will be reloading but I'm having an awful time trying to get wads that will work in both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. I have a bunch of Hawk I and Hawk II wads and a bunch of WAA12 wads that all crinkle about 1/3 of the way up the hull because the wad is not seating firmly or properly. I have found that the RXP12 wads work outstanding but they are so much more expensive. I either need to by new wads or trade for some others.
    Any suggestions. In case anyone is wondering I reload with a Mec Versamec.
    Rick

2. wlc

wlc Member

If these are AAHS hulls and you are using a fairly bulky powder... I have used the Claybuster 1114 wads for 1-1/8 oz and the CB 1118 for 1-1/16 oz. The Downrange XL-1 is the correct length for 1 oz but I have trouble with them trapping air and raising back up in the hull. If you catch the one that do this and push them down everything is fine, if not shot spills out when you crimp. The CB wads are configured to fit with the HS base wad and they also have little vents to allow air to escape when they are seated.

3. RickA

RickA Member

Yes thank you for reminding me, I'm using Promo so it is definitely a bulky powder. I've tried the CB118 for 1 1/8 oz loads but have had good and bad luck with them Some load up fine crimp beautiful and everything is fine others I get that wrinkle . When this happens they won't load in my 870.
    I thought I read of one of the DR wads that worked exceptionally well but I can remember which one or where I read it.
    Rick

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Don't know what loader you are using but I close up the crimp some and then set the next station a little deeper if needed to get rid of that ring using CB waa12. Jackie B.

5. Borderland

Borderland Member

Claybuster 114 for 1-1/8 and claybuster 12SL for 1 oz....Both have tapered entry to facilitate entry into the base wad plus slots to relieve trapped air.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use the genuine Winchester AA wad for this same load.

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

The DRA-12 is the perfect match for AAHS hulls in 1 oz. and or, Spolar Gold.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I don't load many WW HS hulls anymore but when I tried I also used the RXP, they also patterned much better for me so I use the RXP or TGT in everything now. Have not tried the CB TGT clones but would expect them to work well. I shoot 7\8 oz. 99% of the time with TGTs. Keep your MV around 1200 fps good back to about the 25 yd. line. Ross Puls

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Case capacity in the new AA's seems to be less than the older ones. Your use of a bulky powder like Promo helps create your issues. You might need to change powders in those shells if you want to be successful!!

10. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Winchester orange wads.WT12 wads for both

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Promo is not a bulky powder, by volume it is less than RED DOT, I use PROMO for all my ATA target loads and 1st shot buddy loads at 1200fps, I use now use the
    YELLOW DOWNRANGE wad for 1 1/8th oz loads the the Winchester HS hull.

I load 18 grs Promo. I get a nice rounded factory looking crimp.

I just loaded them for the upcoming Ohio State zone shoot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Tightgroup is not a bulky powder and loads fine in new style AA's with AA wads. PB is a bulky powder and doesn't load as nice. Some loaders actually compound the problem by squeezing the plastic harder and reducing the volume. Any powder that requires a bushing over .450 diameter can be described as bulkier!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wad choice