1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad catching on edge of shell...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm having a problem with wads catching on the edge of the shell on my MEC 9000. Using Downrange XL wads and AA hulls. Doesn't happen all of the time, but often enough to really mess me up. The little black plastic "fingers" are fine and I've checked the alignment many times. Any ideas?

Bruce

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It sounds like maybe your hulls are worn out. I find when i have a hull that is near its end that it starts catching like that. I use a Mec 600jr.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

what grntitan said.

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Sounds like an alignment problem to me. Either it is not indexing the same or the wad guide is not centered over the shell. I can't think of anything else.........Roger

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I agree with the other posts, but it was happening with a particular wad that I was using too often. To get around it, I open the hull (to be loaded) a bit extra using a partially crimped empty hull (top is kind of cone shaped) that I keep handy. It fits nicely into the mouth of the hull to be loaded and opens it just enough. Hope this helps.

6. grntitan

I got an old pool stick end cut off that i keep by my loader to open up tight hulls. It is cut up the stick a little further that fits perfect in the hull. The taper on the stick slides in and out without stretching the primer pocket just the mouth.---Matt

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm using once-fired AA hulls.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with MrkSLC. I have learned the hard way that the wad guide cannot be checked properly unless it is removed from the machine. If it is not the plastic guide, then something might be blocking the downward movement of the wad guide carrier.

Pat Ireland

9. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

capvan,

Did you take wad guide out of it's holder and inspect? Had same problem with my PW Platinum 2000. Wad guide fingers looked fine, but when I removed it and pushed my finger through it I found it was cracked through the top of it. Had spare on hand changed out problem fixed. Hope this might help.

John

10. willing

willing Member

It's not the guide. If you are using the new AA, the DR wad SOMETIMES catches on the separate base wad. I load them somtimes on a 9000 and it happens. I just continue and it crimps ok and I shoot them within several days and the crimp does not seem to open.

Bill

11. grntitan

Where is the best place to buy the plastic wad guides for my loader a MEC 600jr.? It is an older model.----Matt

Thanks in advance

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

Bill, the wad is catching on the beginning of the hull, not down inside.

brntitan, Call MEC.

Bruce

13. TC

TC TS Member

Sometimes a hull will have a small "split" or ragged edge, this will sometimes get inbetween the fingers and catch the wad.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

SPINDEX KIT - 12 GAUGE 846212 $8.20 for grntitan

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi capvan.

I found that it is easy to put one of the wad petals up inside of the shot tube when you are putting the wad in position. That will cause what you are seeing everytime.

Terry.

16. bear2

bear2 TS Member

Mine will sometimes do the same thing.I found that mine is caused by not having the machine securely mounted to a bench .I have it on a piece of plywood and it wobbles sometimes when I pull the lever down.The shell will get out of line and cause it to jam.
    Barry

17. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

It could be that the wad guide is set up too high. Set a hull in place, pull the handle down, loosen the allen screw and re-posistion the wad guide to set just above the hull making sure the fingers are inside the mouth, re-tighten the allen screw.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I don't mean to Hijack the thread but......I recently quit using Claybusters version of Windjammer wads for what I believe is a similar reason. one in five would "snap" as it was entering the hulls (sts), I didn't think much about it since I would guess we have all had the same thing happen on occaison, at least on a MEC loader, well I loaded up a flat or two and shot some last week. The first box was full (15-20%) of weak sounding loads, hollow pops that shot but missed, I can only guess that the issue was some sort of tipped wad??? I really don't know, but I switched over to Fig 8's and have not had ANY issues. I quit using Claybuster AA wads years ago because of this snapping, but I never had any off sounding or weak loads then, like now with the Windjammer/Cbusters. I notice that the W jammers are very soft/flimsy plastic as compared to the Fig 8's, not sure if they are so soft that they can easily tip the cup?? Has anybody else had similar issues??

One thing I will test is upping the load a bit, the loads in question were 1 1/8 with Win 209, 16.5 g 700X, and is at best an 1150fps load. Is it maybe too light for the CB Windjammers??

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Check to make sure the wad guide is centered over the hull mouth at that station. If it's off even a slight bit, wad bases will sometimes hang up because of the un-evenness of the guides petal separation. I've used the same one for years loading many thousands of rounds! Hap

How to center it. Tilt the bottles back, use a deprimed hull under that station, look down through from the top and align accordingly. It sorta like aligning or centering peep sights on a rifle.

20. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I have loaded many thousand of the CB-4100 (windjammer clone) wads and cannot blame the wad when it catches. In virtually every instance the wad guide fingers have failed, usually with a broken finger. This is with Gun Club, AA and STS hulls loading on a Hornady 366 often until the case mouth cracks, load once more and discard.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shell on the edge

wad at the edge of the shell

wads jam using mec 9000