1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wachovia down the tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by comp 1, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Just saw where wachovia collapsed.

2. royboy

royboy Member

Where was it posted??

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The FDIC had several banks on a list to possibly fail, Wachovia, Citibank, Chase Morgan & WAMU but I dont see anything about Wachovia yet. If people make a run on a bank, they are done no matter how solid and it may happen yet

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

It was on Fox News that Wachovia is in trouble. I don't know if it is insolvent yet.

5. cubancigar2000

I think they are looking for a buyer, which means they will fail if they dont find one

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Yeah,Fox news,I thought they said it had gone under earlier today:'scuse me if I heard it wrong but maybe I heard it right and Fox jumped the gun--I am not one to start rumors and if I heard it wrong I am sorry.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The rats are lining up for the cheese.

HM

8. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

My daughter is a Stockbroker for Wachovia, they are worried but as of now 9/27/08 it has not happened. J.Woolsey

9. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

My 401K is through Wachovia. I received a letter today from them that my 401K is secure and is not part of their assets, its in a trust. They said not to worry and that they are having hard times but are trying to work through it.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

...in other words, they'll be sold or dead by Wednesday.

Curiouser and curiouser

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Time for a few more Bank Holidays... government needs to allow cooler heads to prevail, and limit runs on banks. They may fail anyway, but those on the brink, should be given an opportunity to meet their obligations before automatically falling into a crevase. (sic?!)

Jay

12. cubancigar2000

Bledsoe, you forgot the term you called me ( us) before you deleted it( Yahoos??) do some reading before you call the kettle black. The info I read was right off the FDIC web site. The simple fact is a loan institution is a very scary place to invest in right now. There will be more to follow WAMU and I seriously doubt the bailout bill will help ( long term) it may work for a short while until the people come out of the gas. Most of us on here are retired amd cannot afford to risk our retirement funds as we dont have another 30 years to build a new one. More runs on banks?? It could happen. Oh I almost forgot 15% last ten years??? I feel pretty good now as mine exceeded that and now I guess maybe I don't have to stick to trap?

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Citibank avoided this crisis by successfully soliciting the Saudis and the Chinese to invest.

14. cubancigar2000

I was talking compund also, I may not be a banker but I get by. Yes I am offended but that's ok. I guess we all get senile when we get older, it just happened to Byrd at a youger age than us.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Appears Citi is buying Wachovia's banking unit...

Jay

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

In the event of a bank failure, the FDIC is on the hook for the first $100k of each depositor's account.

While the FDIC keeps a list of severely troubled banks*, it isn't public information. Were such an FDIC list publically available a LIKELY reaction would be something along the lines of, "Holy sh!t Batman, my bank is about to go belly up. I'm getting my money out NOW before they do." In other words, such a list would almost certainly trigger a run on some if not all of the listed banks.

sissy

* In an article I read last week, the FDIC list of 'basket cases' is rumored to include 117 banks. In that author's opinion, the FDIC will be lucky beyond words if covered losses for 2009 are less then $200 billion.

17. atashooter

atashooter Member

walk-all-over-ya in trouble?? Let em rot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.