1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waaaay O/T - whats involved to convert auto to CNG

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ricks1, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

check around you may be able to get the set up for nothing are cab company switched to propane> That lasted about a year and they went back to gas. Cars dont have near the performance that they do on gas rick

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Back in the early 70"s I worked in a gas stattion where the mechanic got the job of converting a fleet of 10 Chevrolet pick ups back to gasoline from propane. We had to remove the propane tank (the gas tank was there) and run new fuel line, install a fuel pump, replace the injector system with a carborator. These trucks were being taken from service by the local propane company and this was the only way to sell them to the public. Wish I had one of those injector systems. Would love to install it on my (pig) Suburban.

BTW, if you are ever in Daytona there is a go cart track across from the Speedway that has propane powered dragsters.

Scott

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Great and Correct info ... i agree with the above guys.

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

There are many vehicles in this area that are duel fuel. Gasoline and propane. My company truck for years was that way. There are many diesel trucks in this area that run on a mixture of propane and diesel. T Boone is from this area. Be careful of his advice. Maybe this is legit but people of this area are suspect of T Boone. He is a promoter and, mostly, for his benefit. UPS, at one time, ran their trucks in the Dallas area on CNG. Colorado Interstate Gas still runs many of their vehicles in this area on CNG. The biggest drawback I see is the fiberglass reinforced fuel tank filled with high pressure natural gas. On the cars using CNG, the tank is normally in the trunk. Boone used to have a company in Amarillo doing conversions to CNG but I'm not sure there still is. Check above. Jimmy Borum

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Zard, go to your local propane dealer. They probably can help you rig it up. Most of them here run their fleet on propane. I know they are mostly "dual fuel" vehicles that can run on gasoline or propane. Wouldnt think propane would be a lot different from CNG.

6. 100straight

100straight Member

Click the link above for a complete instruction manual on CNG conversion.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Doesn't the vehicle need a carb? and that EFI will not work?

I was looking just recently about converting my old '89 Ram to run on propane (from the house tank..$2.34gal) but it has a throttle body, not a carb.

Doug

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a website or 2 showing locations to fill CNG vehicles. Even in NE Wis, you can get around but some planning is in order. There is one place 30 miles south, another 42 miles west, and Milwaukee area has a few, 100 miles south.

But........You can get the Phillips unit istalled at home and fill from your natural gas house connection. The cost is around 3 thousand. Hook it up at night, and your tank is full in the morning.

Honda has a CNG car in the lineup.

I believe CNG has more power than propane, from what I have read. Supposed to be almost like gasoline.

It's worth investigating.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Propane is a saturated liquid at about 200 psig and as such, when you draw off it, the pressure falls and the liquid boils (absorbs heat from the environment) to return the system to equilibrium at that ambient temperature. That is why the tank gets cold after you draw from it. The lower the temperature, the lower the delivery pressure. So in really cold weather, it is hard to get good flow from a propane tank.

That said, the change in volume between liquid and gas is something like 100 to 1 (exact # not verified) that is why 20 # of propane lasts so long. It has 20 # of fuel in it

Natural gas is a lightweight gas, and you cant get a tank big enough to equal propane hence, it can only increase storage with higher pressure. Your house outside the meter might be 90 psi but inside it is about 2 inches of water pressure.

Hence a very expensive 3000 psi pump is needed to fill a CNG tank.

There are CNG filling stations around but not many

I would prefer to see CNG cars over batteries but there is a safety issue as well. Punch the tank and it all goes out; CNG or propane. BIG problem.

Hydrogen, same thing but MUCH more explosive and it leaks thru apparently solid metal.

anyways sorry for the long wheeze. Anyone want a propane shotgun? It can work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.