1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

WAA12R Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bwana64, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

I have found some Winchester WAA12R wads in my collection of reloading stuff. Can anyone explain a use for these, other than really heavy loads, like 1 1/2 oz or 1 5/8 oz? I found a description on the Winchester site that mentions they are used for paper hulls, but I cannot find any reloading data for using them with Federal Paper Hulls.
  2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

A hunnert years ago, when men were steel, ships were wood, and shells were paper, both Winchester and Remington made hi-basewad hulls.

The WAA12-RED wad fit them fine, for both 1-1/8oz and 1¼oz if you wanted to roll-crimp.

If you shoot ducks & geese, the RED wad is a treat for 1-1/8oz of Bismuth, ITX or Nice Shot.

They are good & useful wads, and if you want to trade them, the games shooters love them.

If you want to shoot them, get a hull trimmer, and take the crimp off a bunch of shells, and load them in low-basewad hulls. There is no rule that says you can't load 2½" hulls in 2¾" chambers.

Bob
  3. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Check out Alliants website, I believe you will find some loads using their Pro Reach powder and these wads with 1 1/4 ounce of shot!
  4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I had a duck load using x amount of 473 powder, 1 and 3/8 of shot and aa hulls with the red wad. Devastated ducks. 1330 fps. I quit shooting ducks when the clowns decided you could only use steel and shoot 1 blue duck 1 black duck one hen duck, one purple duck, you get it.
  5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Member

I shot a ton of them at waterfowl back when lead was legal! I believe it was a 34 mec bushing with 4756.I know people that would be glad to take them off your hands for the pot shoots.Just put em up for sale and someone will take them.PJ
  6. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

The Winchester AA12R wad is used mostly for 1 1/4 ounce hunting loads. Load the old Winchester AA case with 32.5 grains of IMR-4756 powder with 1 1/4 ounces of hard #5's you have a killer pheasant load.

Greg
  7. az outlaw

az outlaw TS Member

I have 97 Winchester HiBase wad Paper hulls I'll sell you cheap...... if you want to keep the wads and load-up some Winchester paper hulls.

Mark
  8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

They were used in the Winchester Super Target Papers years ago, and now in 1 1/4oz AA loads or Rem 1 1/4 oz loads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  9. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Thanks for all the replys. AZ Outlaw, let me know how to get those hulls. I guess I'll try to load em up and shoot them. How many loads can one get out of a paper hull?
    Tom
  10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The Winchester and Western, Expert, Super Target and Super Trap brands were made in high and low brass paper hulls, heavy loads in the high brass and target and dove loads in the low. They also made an economy load with a steel head. All of these shells have the same internal dimensions and all except the steel head hull are colored red including 20 gauge hulls. The target loads 1-1/8 use the red wads and the field wads 1-1/4 are no longer available, although you can load target loads 1-1/8 in the high base with the red wad.

The main problem with reloading these hulls especially one's that have been reloaded is the fiber base detaching and lodging in the barrel, the other problem while reloading is the depriming rod nicking the fiber base causing a piece to cover the primer hole causing hang fires. P W loaders are big offenders because of the diameter of their depriming rod.

These hulls can be successfully reloaded if given great care in the reloading process. I would advise you check under a good light for base wad detachment and or a chunk of base missing.

Surfer
  11. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

If they are still soft and bendable (not dried out) you can use them to load Remington All American Target hulls. These have a high internal base wad. Look for data in the Lyman #1 guide.
  12. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

I use these to reload AA and STS/Nitro hulls for hot pheasant loads.

We have developed a load that duplicates the very expensive Remington Nitro Mag 12 gauge shell that throws 1½" oz of shot.

I reluctantly used these last season and they were absolute killers.

Also, I believe this is the same wad which was used in the Winchester paper Super Traget shell back in the early 80's.

Whiz
  13. tulsey

tulsey Member

They are discontinued although one company makes a clone of them. They are highly sought by people who load black powder subs which take up a lot of space in hulls or as mennioned before by people who like to cut off hulls to make shorter shells.
  14. dead on 4

Who's making a clone of Super Targrts/Super Trap or Am I misunderstanding you?

Surfer
  15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Claybuster makes a clone of that wad.

<a href=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2494161168/claybuster-shotshell-wads-12-gauge-cb1138-12-replaces-waa12r-1-1-2-oz?cm_vc=2494BrandPopProd>Midway</a> sells them.
  16. dead on 4

I misunderstood, I know about clone wads, I thought they were talking about the hulls.

Surfer
  17. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Does anybody have a recipe for loading these in the Winchester paper hulls?
    Tom
  18. dead on 4

You may go the Hodgdon web sight and cue up winchester powders, their recipes for Super Target and Super Handicap 1-1/8 apply to the paper hulls with the red wad. There Super Target 1200 fps load is very quick and a very soft shooting load.

Although no longer published 1145 1-1/8 shot, 18.5 grns of Red Dot, red wad, Winchester 209 primer is still valid. For 1200 fps bump the powder drop to 19.5 grns

Both loads will produce a higher level of smoke out of the barrel than most people are accustomed with current trap loads, Red Dot being the greater offender.

Surfer
  19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had a load of these, sold to a black powder shotgunner.

HM
  20. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Member

I have 6 bags (1500) of this wad. Best offer via E-mail in 30 days gets them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.