1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

waa12r wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Any of you ever use these 1-1/4oz wads for 1-1/8th loads? If so, would you share the powder charge you used along with the powder name? And, how'd they perform for you? Thanks, Jim

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Actually used the red wads for 1 Oz loads -- but that was with a big charge of black underneath. (cowboy action stuff)

That is the thing about the red wad though, it is designed for big shot payloads and/or lots of powder. Its not really going to be a good target wad for you.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jim, if you ask around the games shooters are looking for that wad. Some one will probably want to trade you some nice 1-1/8 wads for them, or some cash.

Just a thought,

Ajax

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I use them all the time but they are for large charges of bulky powder, for very fast games loads. They have no application as a target load wad. There is a book load of I think 32 grains of 4756 intended to push 1 1/4 oz. Drop that back to 1 1/8 using this wad in a AA hull and it's pretty fast and surprisingly soft shooting.

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Starting out with 32.5 grns of Blue-Dot behind 1 1/8 th oz of 7 1/2. We'll see. Jim

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Better move up to 37.5 gr BD and 1 3/8 shot ... or the crimps will be deeply dished.

7. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

I have numerous brands and style of 1 1/8 wads would trade you for red aa wads. George

8. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

At the risk of highjacking this thread, I plan to load next year's pheasant loads with waa12r wads as I have 500. Just bought a lb. of Blue Dot & also have some Unique for which there is a load in Lyman's 2nd.

Does anyone have a pet 1.25 oz. or 1.375 oz. load of #5 for pheasants.

Thanks.

Bill

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Are the red AA R12 wads out of production? Why would people here make it sound like they're tradable or worth cash to my fellow club members? Jim

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

They are no longer made by Winchester but I think Downrange is making a replacement.

11. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I believe it Claybuster that makes a Waa12r clone.

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Rebelpenn, try the Ballistic Products website, they have a lot of "custom" pheasant loadings posted.

I didn't know that these red WAA-12 wads were discontinued, although I knew that they were meant for larger hunting loads.

Score another one for TS.com making me more smarter.

13. DONNE

DONNE Member

If you can find some old WW "super target" paper hulls ,they work good in them. They also worked good in the Remington "All American" plastic hulls. 1 1/8 oz.target loads. P.S. that gives you some idea how old I am .

14. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Damn, I have two old sacks of them that I just got a load developed for. Now I find out they are discontinued.

I set a 366 up to load 1-3/8 oz of 5's 27.5 grns Longshot Waa12R Wad In new Style AA Hull For a good all around hunting load (grouse,P-Chickens,Pheasants).

They crimp good, and go bang good. I haven't got time to pattern or chrono them yet.

Btw Bill, This load is from Hodgdon's Website if want to give it a try.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Your 1 1/8 ounce load with Blue Dot will not have sufficient pressure to be reliable. Blue Dot is meant to have heavy 12 gauge shot charges ahead of it to create good ignition. I'm sure other wad producers are making wads that will take the place of WW red wads.

16. Trap4

Trap4 Member

The Claybuster clone works fine for me.

Trap-4

17. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Yes, they are discontinued. I shoot alot of games and have a good 1 3/8 load for them. Can usually pickem up off ebay for around 8.00 a bag. But ebays gettn harder and harder on us gun guys.vAny ways my offer still stands on the 1 1/8 wads I got all of them fig 8's to AA's and Federals. George

18. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

not to jack this thread but i have a bag of these wads if anyone is interested

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading instructions for waa12r

loads using waa12r wad

waa 12 red wad

what shot load is the red aa wad designed for