1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WAA12 Claybuster Wads in MEC Loader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ps8182, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ps8182

ps8182 TS Member

I've justed changed over to loading the new style AA Hull with WAA12 Claybuster Wad and have had problems with the wad hanging up when being pushed into the hull. It slides in real jerky and seems as if its catching on the edge of the hull. I am afraid of getting a cocked wad so I tried putting a new wad quide on my MEC loader and have played around with different wad quide heights without much luck. Has anyone else had this problem and know what to do to fixthe problem.

2. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

I have had the problem - switched to Down Range wads specifically the DRA12 which is the Winchester clone. The overall length of this wad is just a tad shorter than the claybuster - and totally resolves your stated issue.

Ron Schroer - Sun City, TX

3. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I occasionally have this problem with various wads/hulls. For me it was the wad guide. The fingers get hung up on the outside of the shell, allowing the wad to get hung up on the shell as you try to insert it.

The wad guide is distorted and needs to be replaced. I bought this reloader used on ebay and though the initial price was a bargain, it has failed to live up to the claim to be "in like new condition". The carrier for the bottles was bent/distorted (no visible damage to the box during shipping), the drop tube column for the powder/shot was broken at the top, and now the wad guide and support arm need replacing. All of the charge bars are the old style. This was no bargain and have spent more than what I would have had I bought it new.

Mike

4. Robb

Robb Member

Pick up a bag of real AA white wads made by Winchester and I'll bet the problem goes away. I know they are pricey. Been there done that.

5. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Wipe your wads with an oily rag -- OR -- switch to the Downrange wads and enjoy loading again !!!! ......merlyn....

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem with every different Claybuster wad I have ever tried.

Right now I have about 950 of Claybusters new TGT-12 clone...for sale...with 1000 of the real thing on order.

7. ps8182

ps8182 TS Member

These once fired hulls have been in my basement for a couple years. Is it possible that the plastic has become rigid? Did Claybuster change there plastic? I've loaded there wads for 15 years and have never had a problem.

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

By brand (Winchester WAA12) name wads and your problem will go away.

At one time I use silicone spray on a cotton bore mop and inserted it into the wad guide to lube wad guide. I did not make the wad guide wet with silicone, just enough to put a film on the guide. This worked great. However, I had to do this about every 50 to 75 rounds. This really worked, but, was a pain in the a**!

Like I said above, when I switched to brand name wads and stopped using the clones, THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.

Frank

9. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Put wads in paper bag big one grocery store type then spray with graphite and shake the bag . Or use something not oil ! Use lub silicone tyre works for me

Pat Kelley

10. atashooter

atashooter Member

Claybuster has recognized this problem and addressed it. They now have a taper that was desined for the new AA hull. This taper stops the problem. All Claybuster WAA12 wads are now made that way. I got this info from an email I received from them in reply to my concern. Sorry, wish I still had it so I could cut and paste. You must have some that were made before the change.

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I switched to Downrange Versilite wads and the hanging problem went away. The wads go in smooth but shot always pops out when the lever is raised after the drop. I am having to put my finger over the top of the shot filled shell before pulling the wad fingers out of the shell. Any ideas here?

12. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Dump the Clay Buster. Many have reported the same problem. I had the identical problem loading STS with the CB replacement wad. Will not buy them again. Sorry C.B. Will not be fooled again.

Got rid of 5000 C.B wads by using them in Fed G.M. hulls. Little wider straight wall interior.

I now use the Rem Fig 8S w/o any problem at all in both STS and the Fed G.M.

If you are going to reload, why be agrivated?

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

kgdunford....sounds like you have some of the old Claybuster wads! They will work just fine on the old style AAs, but not the new style.

Claybuster did like Winchester did, the new wads have a taper on the base to get past the basewad insert.

14. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Try raising the wad guide 1/8 inch. This usually works.

15. johnpe

johnpe Member

Both RCBS with their Grand loader and Winchester have addressed the problem. You need to adjust the wad rammer (or in the case of the RCBS, the shot tube) to push the wad down further. I use the MEC Grabbers and the Grand and all of the wads mentioned. After making the adjustment there haven't been any more problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.