1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WAA 28 HS "Short" Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cf4952, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cf4952

cf4952 Member

I've got a bunch of the early, shorter WAA HS 28 gauge hulls. Are they worth the trouble to set up and load?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

WAA 28 HS

I had two cases of those early HS 28 gauge shells and most of the published loads would not fit into the hull and still allow for a decent crimp using the HS wads.. The load that finally did work well was using between 14.6 and 14.8 grains of Longshot. This powder is very dense so you can use a much smaller bushing for the powder charge and this gives enough room for good reloads.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

WAA 28 HS

I load 11/16 oz in these hulls. Works great, cannot tell the difference in breaks.

Likely you are shooting Skeetie or Baby Bore Sporting. No issue.

4. legman

legman Member

WAA 28 HS

As Gregg535 said longshot leaves enough room. Also, the claybuster HS wad takes up less volume compared to the Winchester HS. Kenny Bruggeman

5. cf4952

cf4952 Member

WAA 28 HS

I'm trying to duplicate the sporting load. I don't think it'll happen with these hulls. I guess I'll get rid of them and use something else. Thanks for the info guys.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

WAA 28 HS

You likely won't duplicate the Winchester sporting load with any length AA HS hull. When you finally get enough Pro Reach in the hull it won't crimp worth a darn. STS hulls are the way to go for 1300-1350 fps loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.