1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

W.T.B. BROWNING ST-100 STOCK

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rad 53, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Can anyone help with an unaltered stock & maybe even a matching forend for one of these rare beauties? A pretty big ask, but i'm hoping someone may have done a restock & have an original stock or set lying around. Thanks, Donald.

2. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Thanks for your reply,yes a B25 stock will bolt right on but all are too low in the comb due to the high rib on this gun,& yes i could get a stock made if i had an unaltered one to copy.I do have an altered stock allready, just want an unaltered original for restoration of the gun,regards, Donald.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

iI you could use your existing stock as a master you could use bondo to build it up and or restore it's contours to original dimensions so it could be duplicated. I know how different they are from a regular B-25. I have an ST-100 with gorgeous wood...bought it new in 1980. Fabulous doubles gun.

4. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Thanks for your reply Ljutic 73, i'm still hopefull, but i may have to resort to doing exactly as you've suggested. It seems Browning went all out with the wood on these guns which seems odd as they are very plain black guns. both my ST-100 & ST-80[identical european version, except for"SUPERTRAP 80" in gold on r.h. side] have gorgeous wood also. It's a shame that one has been badly broken & repaired & the other altered to suit a previous owner, however these things happen. If yours is unaltered & you ever want to part with it i would be pretty interested, regards,Donald.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I saw one of these at Indiana Gun Club the other day. Pretty neat looking for a Browning.

ec90t

6. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Hi ec90t, I actually rang Steve about this gun, but like mine has been altered by a previous owner which was ok for him. Would have jumped on it if it was unaltered original. I'm still hopefull, thanks for your reply, regards, Donald.

7. 90292

90292 TS Member

Donald,

I do not have a stock to sell, but I hope we can chat about the ST-100. It is not too often that I ran across another ST-100 owner....

I purchased my ST-100 from a gentleman who lived in Phoneix. It was my lucky day since the gun has extremely nice wood that I dont even know how to describe. The stock seems to be in original condition with no comb or recoil device.... :)

Friends with barrel guage told me that the barrels were chocked 28/22 or LF/LM.

With my caliper, the inner diameter of the Under Barrel is .700. Outer Diameter is .816 at muzzle.

The inner diameter of the Over barrel is .694. the outer diameter is .812 at muzzle.

I wonder if the original owner altered the choke to get a wider spread? If you have a caliper, do you mind measuring the diameter of your barrel?

Benjamin

8. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Hi Benjamin,great to hear from a fellow owner! This is a great start, will do the measurments on my ST-100 [bought in the U.S.] & my Super Trap 80 [European version bought here in New Zealand] Both my guns are marked 3/4 & full so could be an interesting exercise. I see in some old catalogues, there were three choke options, !/2& full,3/4 & full, & full & full. I would guess yours has been opened up , but who knows, check the choke markings on l.h. side by the extractors.will try & do measurments tonight for you, regards, Donald.

9. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Hi Bengamin,I have measured the barrels on both my guns & are as follows.... ST-100& Super trap 80 both have near as idetical OD & ID dimensions at muzzel....top barrel ID.695", OD.814", bottom barrel ID.702", OD.814". The choke markings on both my guns above & below L.H. extractor are * [full] for top barrel & *- [3/4] for bottom barrel.Your dimensions are pretty near identical to mine But I have no bore gauge to calculate the actual choke constriction measurments. Hope this is of some help to you, regards,Donald.

10. ljutic73

The chokes on mine as I recall measure .698 bottom and .692 top and are list as IM-F. It's been a while since I measured mine with a Baker bore-mic. I use mine strictly for doubles, bought it new in 1980 and have upwards of 35,000 rounds through it. It too has spectacular burled walnut...I just wish Browning hadn't applied thier "French Red" stain as they did with all of them. Nice to see this unique shotgun in a a discussion thread again.

Ron Burr

Alberta

11. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Hi Ron, You are right about the red stain , they did it to the Supertrap 80 as well, they would have been stunners without it. Did the ST-100 come new in a Browning case? The one I imported from the U.S. had an aftermarket case. The Supertrap 80's I have seen here in New Zealand came in those lovely old Polish leather cases.Look forward to your reply, regards, Donald.

12. 90292

90292 TS Member

Thanks Donald & Ron !

Since Ron is the first owner of his gun, then my gun have definitely been opened up .05' .....

It seems like the current choke of my gun is good for double or Sporting clay.
    If I want to use this gun for bunker, what are my options?

1) Should I send it to Briley to get chokes ?
    2) Should I shoot it with 28g shell to compensate ?
    3) Send it to a barrel smith to shave 0.05 ? Any idea about cost ?
    4) Find another ST-100??
    5) Or just shoot it since it is the Indian not the Arrow....??

Any comments ?? I do prefer a fixed choke gun.

Benjamin

13. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Benjamin, it seems to me that in all the "Horse Operas" i've ever seen, the Indians are doing just fine sticking arrows into white boys that have got them pretty upset over one thing or another! I would do just like the Indians. Remember your barrel dimesions are very close to mine & Ron's, we all hold a dial caliper differently, so we could all get a slightly different measurment within a couple of thou, so your gun may not have been altered. Maybe Browning chokes are a little on the open side. Briley's would certainly make you gun more versatile,but you say you like fixed chokes, so go out & enjoy it as is. See if you can put enough "Arrows" through it to wear it out in your lifetime! May they all connect for you, regards, Donald.

14. ljutic73

Donald...my ST-100 came in the black and gold Browning box and nothing more. I bought a Browning hard case for it and took it to Hawaii in 1980 to a shoot on Kauai. Now it lives in a Pelican Travel Vault. And as a doubles gun mine will smoke first targets and hit second targets hard....the bbl's have never been touched...why mess with perfection...and someday I'd like to get the gun re-blued and the wood stripped and refinished minus the red stain and get the checkering recut. I know it's probably not worth it but I'm never going to sell the gun and it will be a stunner! Ron

15. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Hi Ron,I would sure like to find one of those Browning hard cases For my ST-100.Do you know the model number of your one so I can start looking, maybe you would sell your one if your's now lives in a Pelican Travel Vault? I gather from your reply to a previuos thread to someone wanting to know about these guns that yours has a Broadway 5/8" rib.This would be a first year gun.Mine has the 1/2" rib from the second & third year, as does my Supertrap 80 which I understand only ever had the 1/2" rib.I understand why you're never going to sell your gun & I guess You now know why I want To get my two restocked to original & perfection as you put it, regards, Donald.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning b 25 st100

browning b25 st 100

browning st 100 shotgun

browning st 100 super trap

browning st 80

browning st100 super trap shotgun