1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vonage Phone Service

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cle, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cle

cle Member

It's not directly trapshooting, but it may have a bearing on how much I get to shoot next summer. I'm getting real fed up with being bled $80-$90-$100 a month by Ma Bell and whatever 'offspring' is in charge this month. Does anyone out there have any experience with Vonage phone service? In this area they are $25 a month for unlimited local and LD service including all the usual service features. Will be grateful for any guidance. Thanx/CLE

2. J. Fox

J. Fox TS Member

cle

It really works great but you will need a cable DSL hi-speed or a dry hi-speed DSL which is DSL through the phone lines without a phone.
    jake513

3. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Don't forget to factor in you will need a high speed internet connection to connect to (probably have that any way). In case of an emergency or disaster, if you lose electrical power, you also lose your phone service (a land line continues to work without it). If you frequently lose your internet connection, you will also lose your phone service. Other companies offer VOIP service besides Vonage, and sometimes bundling these services saves you more money. Look into your local providers and compare apples to apples. T-Mobile also has a new service that is similar. Keep in mind that VOIP sends packets over the internet that carry your conversation, and these packets are easily recognizable and subject to being "hacked". Not very likely, but if you're a government agent, or something like that, maybe not your best choice. Just some food for thought. We all need to save where we can, and the best we can do is shop around and demand the best product at the best price, or we will go elsewhere!!!

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try the link for info about Magicjack. Free local & long distance thru your computer for $20 a year after a one time $40 purchase of the unit. Beats using a cellphone for LD. I've got one and love it for any and all calls.

Eric

5. turmite

turmite Member

Skype and Google both have voip as well. I use skype to talk all over the world. As long as it it pc to pc and for personal use, it's free.

Mike

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

cle the other s have all given you there outlook on features and the cost and what is needed to use Vonage.

I will tell you of my experience I installed Vonage on August 2, and canceled it on Sept 4,. The reason in the 30 plus days I had the service I was able to use it for six days. I have High speed internet service through my cable provider unfortunately the cable company doesn't use a fixed IP address. So when the service was installed everything was fine. When I shut off my computer and restarted it the IP address changed no service so 4 hours on my cell phone to get it straightened out 3 days later when my Windows updater shut down my computer it also shut down my phone service again, You know the drill My sell phone bill was on it way to costing me more that my previous phone company was charging me.

Other thing I encountered when I canceled I was two days into the next billing cycle so they said you owe us for the month of September also. There is a disconnection fee of $39.99 and the 25 dollar monthly fee after taxes and what ever is $31 the total $70.99.

The final bill that I got(in the form of an email) was $113 they can provide no explanation as to the additional charges and you can do nothing about stopping payment if you order your router over the internet and used a CC. By the time you are notified that the service is disconnected the money is already paid by your CC.

One more little thing that I found out to late is.

"No Warranties on Service.

"We make no warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness of the service or device for a particular purpose, title or non-infringement or any warranty arising by usage of trade, course of dealing or course of performance. In addition, we do not warrant that the service or device will be without failure, delay, interruption, error, omission, degradation of voice quality, or loss of content, data, or information. Neither Vonage nor its officers, directors, employees, affiliates or agents, or any other service provider or vendor who furnishes services, devices, or products to the customer for our service will be liable"

It is all in the information is at the website posted above under Term of Service it is about a two hour read. If you go with Vonage GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some people have had good results with Vonage. I don't use it and rely on P.O.T.S. Plain Old Telephone Service. It's more reliable, has 911 capabilities, and is out of service WAY less than a VOIP. If you want to save, get a basic telephone service for incoming and do the skype thing for long distance and outgoing calling. That Magicjack thing is a rip off as is the Magic Peanut crap. They might work sometimes, but there are LOTS of unhappy campers.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The triple play from cablevision is the way to go. Telephone, television, and computer, $29.95 each, no hidden taxes or fees. HMB

9. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Why not just use a cell phone? I use mine for all calls- local and LD. I have a plan for $99/mo unlimited time including voicemail & call forward. The great thing about this is that I can use it anywhere.....unlike any land line.

The only reason I have a land line is to have DSL.......I keep the land line at basic service ($17/mo).......other than my cell phone, there are no other ones in my house.

JMHO

Jim C

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Regardless of what Quackshot writes, I'm not trying to convince anyone to try Magicjack. It works for me and others who have gotten it. As far as being a ripoff, I think not. YMMV.

Eric

11. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Vonage seems to work well for some...others not. I have a customer who loves it and has had no problems, even installed themselves without any tech support. For my long distance, I use my local ATT for basic phone only (about $15. month) and a long distance company call ECG and pay 2.5 cents a minute. I also have a 800 number for .03 cents a minute. Here is a good site for long distance comparisons:

http://www.phonedog.com/long-distance/default.aspx

I do like the security of having a traditional land line in the event of a power failure, although Comcast (love their service/super fast internet) VOIP service comes with 4 hour battery backup.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mixer,

Here are just a few comments from their "customers".

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/320/ripoff0320581.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/315/RipOff0315822.htm

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r20690352-NY-Residents-AG-Reviewing-Magic-Jack

http://voip2u.org/magic-jack-customer-service-numbers

http://startiamvoip.blogspot.com/2008/08/magic-jack-scam-fraud-fake-phone.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/magic-jack-c104380.html

The above complaint even placed blame on the Bush administration?

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/magic-jack-c99686.html

http://www.measuredup.com/review/UPDATE-To-My-Magic-Jack-Costs-Me-54.97-In-Electricity-Review-3940

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38c2ApimNIQ

http://www.wptv.com/content/investigative/story.aspx?content_id=57bce2bd-41bf-47e9-9fbd-cee879d2d64c

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20505801-MagicJack-RipOff-ChargedNever-Received

Hope this helps!

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Quackshot,

What can I say? You sound like you have a problem with Magicjack for some reason. Mine works as advertised and I'm very happy with it.

Eric

14. capvan

capvan Active Member

The regular land line, old fashioned telephone service is a UTILITY and regulated as such. This is a good thing. It's why it always works. Vonage is NOT a utility and when it doesn't work, it just doesn't work. I used it in a professional office and hated it.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mixer

It's not a problem I have with it. I have had to clean that crap out of clients systems and it is not a great program to uninstall. The input I have received from these people was not positive. MagicJack isn't the only one. Most of these "Wonder" VOIP services aren't all what they are advertised to be. If you need emergency services, you are pretty much out of luck, unless you have the local PD or Emergency numbers handy. In a power outage, you are out of luck, unless you have a good backup power setup. Most of these services have serious faults. MagicJack is one that is currently under investigation by the AG in NY for fraudulent charges and billing practices.

It's like I said in a previous post, if it works for you, fine, but don't be surprised if some issues arise. I'd strongly recommend that anyone who uses one of these services as their primary phone, have some sort of a backup plan.

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I understand your point. For me Magicjack is for outgoing LD calls only. My backup is a hardwired landline and a cell.

Eric

17. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

mixer,

Do you just have one single phone hooked up to the MagicJack? I have one Uniden 2.4 three-phone system, and I just bought one 5.4 Uniden base and phone. I suppose I could hook the 5.4 base to the MJ (and get another phone for upstairs/downstairs) and use it for outgoing only?

Danny

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

dmarbell,

I have one dedicated phone connected to MJ. I don't know if MJ will work with a multi phone wireless system other than the phone that's connected to the MJ unit. I don't believe you can have a phone connected to MJ and also to your regular phone line at the same time.

Eric

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

capvan the interesting part about Vonage is the have nothing that belongs to them other than their Computer Systems and Software. They have no phone line no connections.

On new homes they run no phone line from the pole to your home. If you don't have a High speed cable/DSL line in your home you can't get the service. In short they Pirate all of their services from third party sources.

There for as the y say in licensing agreement they can charge you for service that they can't guarantee they will provide. As far as I am concerned they are the type of company that give legitimate business a bad name.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.