1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Volunteering at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clay Addict, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Yesterday I stopped by the WSRC in Sparta to shoot a little Sporting Clays. When I arrived I saw one of the guys from Rend Lake hooking onto a trailer with their scoring benches strapped down. I asked one of the IDNR guys about it and they told me that Rend Lake loaned their scoring benches and Cantabury systems to replace the damaged equipment from the Thursday storm. They said Rend Lake delivered the equipment Thursday night around 10:00 PM without even being asked to help. Because of their kindness and action the IDNR was able to have the line completely ready for the 8:00 AM start Friday morning.

So for those that say that you can't volunteer at the Grand I would suggest you look at the example shown by the guys at Rend Lake. If you see something that needs to be done and you can do it then maybe you should try.

Thanks to anyone and everyone that volunteered.
  2. t-bar

t-bar Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Well said CA. A big thank you to John Upcraft and Larry Chinski of Rend Lake.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Big thanks to John and Larry for lending their help and equipment to the WSRC. Another thanks to anyone and everyone else who helped make the Grand Grand. A special thanks to all who busted their butts all night long Thursday the 16th after the storm to allow Friday to go off without a hitch. I was amazed how nice the place looked after the mess Mother Nature created.

4. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Oct 14, 2009
    My hat goes off to the people at Sparta. After that storm on Thursday and shooting without a hitch at 8:00 am the next morning, if that did not impress you then I don't know what would. I mean every port-a-potty was blown everywhere; they were back up, clean and the grounds were immaculate after that storm. I didn't think there would be a chance of this being put back together so fast. WSCR is unbelievable and Jeff Wagner, the way the grand was run was amazing, you have certainly set the bar of being president to a higher level. Thanks to you and your staff, a great well run grand. Thanks Stan
  5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Sevearl years ago, a bad storm all but wiped out the shooting at the NYSATA grounds in Cicero, NY. Power out for over 80,000 people but NOT NYSATA.

Campers came to the rescue with their generators, and one fellow who had connections with the tower lighting people on the NY State Thruway brought some of those towers in for the night shootoffs under the lights...Another retired Electrician, Dave Young, pitched right in and got generators hooked up in a safe manner. Won't forget that for a long long time.

Amazing what some will do to help out.

Dave in SC
  6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Once again Congratulations and Thanks to everyone who chipped in after the storm. I was amazed to hear the resumption of Doubles on Friday morning around 8:30am. We should all be thankful that people weren't seriously hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.