1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Volume vs. Weight???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Randy, in a nutshell, I'm pretty skeptical that powder, if kept in a well sealed canister, is going to gain a lot of weight from humidity. I pretty much maintain the same volume with a canister as you describe but do check weight every 100 or so in a loading session. It would take a pretty sizable jump in the sample weights for me to consider any change in the powder adjustment....breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Bob. Compaction of the powder could cause a significant change in the volume/weight ration from one lot of powder but smokeless powder does not absorb water readily.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat I think you should count the flakes just to be sure. That will give you something to do in your spare time. HMB

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Once you've determined the correct # powder bushing, stay with it (volume).

I use a MEC #29 bushing (700X) for my 1 oz loads & a MEC #32 bushing (Clays) for my 1 1/8 oz loads. Haven't bothered weighing a powder drop for years, just follow the recipe.

John C. Saubak

ps----question to you guys that weigh every hundredth drop (or whatever), if the drop weighs more or less than you expect------do you change bushings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.