1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

voice releases hate my voice!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phudson, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phudson

phudson TS Member

I have regular problems triggering voice releases. I have a short sharp call that is average to loud in volume, depending on frustration level. The problem will usually be with an individual speaker or two at a given trap, but if anyone is having problems it seems to be worse for me. I have noticed a few other shooters that seem to have similar problems. I can usually get a launch by substantially lengthening my call, but that results i a slow pull and is very distracting. I have tried changing the pitch of my voice or the word used to no avail. Even though the problem is usually limited to certain speakers it is always treated as the shooters problem because the bulk of the shooters aren't experiencing it. Since I started using a release trigger the problem is even worse because I don't like dismounting the gun. When I start focusing on my call instead of the bird it takes the fun out of the sport. My scores suffer. The rhythm of the squad suffers. Any suggestions?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As you mentioned, you are not alone. But the problem your short call causes for electronic trap release systems was also a problem for human pullers. As noisy as a shooting environment can be, pullers needed to hear a sound they could easily identify as a call for a target instead of background clutter. Electronic releases are no different.

When the first such system were sold, they lacked any sound screening ability and released targets to car doors being slammed, gun barrels bumping into the release microphone stands, shells being dropped on the concrete or shooters clearing their throats. Today's systems have overcome those shortcoming through the use of voice recognition software but that means you have to utter a sound it recognises.

I've found that simply adding an extra vowel or two to your call does the trick and in the time it takes to shoot a trap or two, the new call will be automatic. "HUP!" may not always get you a target but "HUUUP" usually will. As you have learned, however, a short, clipped call at any volume will not, so screaming isn't the answer.

Ed

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have chronically had that problem. If there is a problematic speaker I will find out. It's a standing joke with my squad mates. I eventually had to lengthen my call or use the word "bird" instead of pull.

If you let it distract you the result will be a lost bird. Either change your call or get used to slow calls.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I once shot with a woman that blew one of the little plastic horns that come with party favors, as her voice was very meek. She explained to everyone on the squad, the what and why of it before we started and no one had a problem with it. It took a post or two to get used to.

Big Dave

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When the voice pullers came out, I had to change my call.

Some one mentioned to change your call or get used to slow/no pulls.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I may miss getting a target once in maybe 1000 targets . When voice release first came out I had a big problem . I did the hardest thing a trap shooter can do or WILL do I changed my call . If you go to shoot trap you will change or have a problem .

Here is an idea if a short soft call don,t work change it .

7. phudson

phudson TS Member

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Must be a voice problem. I have changed my call. Regardless of the word I use when I encounter a bad speaker it doesn't hear my voice. I lengthen and get a slow pull often extremely slow. I don't experience the problem with 90% of the speakers. I shot with on a squad with George Reese in Livermore, Ca last year and he was experiencing similar problems. I asked if it was a common problem for him and he said it was. I noticed that Dan Bonillas wears a microphone and I assume some sort speaker device.

It isn't that I'm not willing to change my call. I just can't find what works. That being said it is frustrating that it is assumed to be the shooters problem. When most releases consistently work with my call and a small percentage don't there is an equipment element to the problem.

Pete

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

There is one unit that hates me at my club also. 4 out of the 5 work fine, but there is one that generally kicks my butt. I have found tracing the wire back to the small box that acts as a hub and making sure it is connected securely often solves the problem. I try diligently to not let it bother me, but the first couple of birds that don't show up on time does cause me to hit them much further out than intended.

We have wireless units on the 2nd practice range, and those seem to work better, and are probably newer models. No doubt as with most technology, it will get better and better.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you need to say PULL. most problem shooters at our club say pla. or pll

pull (p??l) Pronunciation Key
    v. pulled, pullĀ·ing, pulls . We have almost eliminated problems by getting shooters to say pool. clear normal pronunciation is all that is needed. Most use a sharp quick/fast call have problems at our club

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

we also find many poor conections in the cables. We have a electrician who shoots. he checks out the cables monthly. finds a lot of breaks(not completly broken) a inch or so behind the conections where it bends a little hanging from the speaker. also where the cable is looped around on the stand. He has located some replacement wire that is reinforced but can not find new connections???

11. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Do all you can to help yourself...be sure the speaker is positioned correctly. Leo recommends in his clinics that speakers be placed on your gun shoulder side, seems a bit awkward at first as this is usually where you bring your gun down. Be sure the speaker bell is tilted upward so when you mount your gun and have your head on the stock you can glance down and see to the bottom of the bell. Have the speaker on solid ground, all four feet should be up on the concrete. If you really stress the first letter of your call, it will help to eliminate the slow pulls.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I used to have problems too. Someone suggested I move the microphone over to my right side because I'm 6'4" tall (I'm a right handed shooter). It worked.

Guy Babin

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

maclellan1911- Do an internet search on speaker connections. That is where I found them for my club. Buxcomm is the company name. Look at their website under audio cables and connectors. You can get 2, 3 or 4 hole male/female connectors. Very reasonable the last time we ordered them. Now they are $1.95 ea. Do yourself a favor and order the little tiny screws that hold the inner piece to the outer metal shell. That's the first thing that gets lost. While you're at it go to the electric supply house and get some bulk wire to wire new sets up with. If you get the 4 strand you can use only two wires when wiring speaker wires and all 4 if you need the hand activator/controller or the 3 strand that connects the box to the trap rewired. Just my .02.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

thanks for the tip on connectors

15. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

There are various systems that you can purchase and attached to your belt. These work really well for shooters that have problem with voice call systems.
    I am sorry I cannot name the manufactors but if you were to visit a electronics store I am sure they could point you in the right direction. - Jim

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As we were taught in the military..."Sound off like you got a Pair".

Curt

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I believe the biggest problem with the voice release is shooter inflicted.

I took a lesson off Leo last year he recommends putting the speaker/microphone on your right for right handed shooters. His claim is that this is the best location to pick up your VOICE so you do not have to SCREAM.

In most of the shoots, I attend a constantly observe shooters move the microphone stand to his or her left side. Logic says to me that it needs to be on your right if you are right handed shooter.

God forbid that a microphone to his right might distract a trap shooter.

Go figure.

Ronbo

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Have whoever repairs your cords install a length of shrink wrap covering the screws on the connector and extending about 6" down the wire. Saves a lot of repairs.

Big Jack

19. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

A few of shooters use "pull it" this adds to the length.

I know I had a problem on one station at a shoot went louder and it worked fine- found out the mic was turned off so one of the other mics was picking me up. Needless to say I dont have this problem. Jim Henry

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The thing about placing the microphone on your gun side strikes me as odd. When we got our first set of wireless releases, the company advised us to have shooters place the microphone on their off side so that when they mounted their gun and looked down through their arms, they could see the microphone. That way, the sound of their voice has a direct non-interrupted path to the microphone. That seemed to help a lot of shooters who were having difficulty.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.