1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Voice Release vs Puller

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Went to the club last night and yet again not enough trap help. So our field on all four rounds was voice release. Four out of five stations black "speakers" and one white just like last week, when you got to the station with the white "speaker" the dam thing wouldn't work. Soft voice, loud voice nothing the guy next to you had to call the bird more time then not. Talk about loosing your concentration! So your preference, voice or puller?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but if i pay money to shoot they WILL have working equipment. Did you stop and get management to fix or replace the CVR?? They do have management right? You shouldn't have to fight a broken speaker. JM2C---Matt

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

And, the trap help comes from where?

Voice...

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bruce,

Voice release has been around for over a decade. I have 1 full time and 1 part time tech ready and able to repair anything that is faulty on CVR equipment. Spare mics are relatively cheap and every club should have spares of all major components by now.

Minor upkeep and inspection (kind of like anything you need to work properly...) is critical. I see clubs put all the CVR stuff in a shed and not look at it for months and expect a miraculous healing to happen before they pull it out for the next shoot ... it doesn't happen. Clubs that have little or no issues with their equipment are just like shooters who have little or no problems with their guns .. they take care of it.

I would certainly take umbrage to any club who does not provide proper equipment. No excuses today, just poor management or laziness.

Bob Schultz

5. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

I cant count the times that i have walked off the line due to failed voice callers. If it takes more than 2 or 3 min to fix, i get my money back for that round. I cant stand it theres always an excuse. Theres moisture in the box, your calling to loud move the speaker out farther. It shouldnt matter how loud you say it, when i say pull i want to see a bird or at lease pieces of bird flying out of the trap. If clubs say they dont have mone, raise the price for trap buy some good sh!t and then lower the price again. If you have people walking off and getting there money back, then what did you gain? A loss of buisness.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

riss I don't think they lost to much if you left.

Don

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mechanical things break now and then. I have seen PAT traps break, targets break out of the house, voice release systems break and even shooters guns break during a round.

I will not let little things like that spoil my fun at a club. If one walks away mad because of a minor inconvenience due to a mechanical failure, what do they do in their lives when something major goes wrong? All of us have a limited number of days remaining in our lives, why spoil even one of them?

Pat Ireland

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most of the problems with CVR systems lie in the cables used.

The first ones were abysmal, wire quality was non existent.

Hint: a slow release usually means the speaker in front of you is defective, and the adjoining one is tripping the system, hence a perceptible time lag.

Clubs should have spares and a continuity tester or portable radio for simple cable fixing.

HM

HM

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

well said pat, great advice

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

it always amazes me how shooters blame the trap help when voice calls go into a funk, like the scorekeeper twitches her nose just to screw up the system.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Voice calls were the best thing that ever came along for trap shooters. Except, maybe modern shells.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have five extra cords at the ready, takes just a minute to change it. Since 2002 I have only had one speaker go bad, usually the cord. A couple of cords failed due to lead consumption.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Some good input here in all regards, especially from Mr. Schultz and Ireland. Is there any truth to the issue that all speakers should be the same? All the older metal vintage or all the newer plastic cones. I have heard and from experience it seems that sometimes when you have a mixture on one field there can be issues with them, in other words "a lack of compatability". Hopefully, I've explained my question properly, and the gentleman named Gary with Bob S would have the correct information. Good people to deal with.

3200-I don't think lead in any amount will help the problem :)

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'm going to chime in. The question Bruce asked was about preference - voice release or puller? That one is easy. The voice release has eliminated the human element. It has also eased the burden on scorers (one simple function vs. two, to include being good at hitting the button at precisely the correct instant). It has also allowed shooters to be able to practice without a puller being present.

Everything mechanical or electrical requires some level of maintenance. To expect on-time target releases without ensuring the equipment being properly maintained is not reasonable. Whether it's wired or wireless, the CVR's are very good devices. Takes a bit of learning, but the benefits out weigh any of that. Last, is a mistake was made it was probably not buying the equipment from Target Shotguns. That's because Bob, Gary Corky & Colton all understand the correct meaning of customer support better than most anybody else out there.

Vote responsibly.

Jon Reitz

15. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I still prefer the human element, I for one much prefer a puller...

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Voice Release

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr. Ireland..Most of our clubs are volunteer run trap fields... When a shooter has a great day, everything is rosey..when he screws up..everything & everybody is at fault. As was said above, why waste a day angry..you only have so many left! Don't bitch..pitch in & help!

Big Jack

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The club has plenty of competent help,that can repair the release mic's. That said the voice release system in my estimation leave a lot to be deisred. A puller / scorer can be late on the button but you don't need to call for the targt two or more times. I enjoy shooting at the club and as long as I don't see the white mic I'm ok with the voice release most of the time. Just prefer having a scorer/puller

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Change the batteries in the white speaker or check cable connection.

Voice release IMO, takes the human out of the equation.

20. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

for all the grief of the occassional malfunction of a voice call, it was brought home to me this weekend how phenomenally successful the voicecalls are. During a memorial fun shoot at the club, one event called for the shooting of 25 targets over a house with the voicecalls set for a 1 or 1.5 second random delay. The number of ballistic shooters complaining about a 1 second delay was amazing. People were telling everyone that would listen how mad they were about it (they were told that was what this event was about). If that many people were upset, it shows me how accustomed we have become to pretty close to exceptional performance from our voicecalls.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.