1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

voice release connectivity question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I arranged the purchase of some used voice releases for a local club and need to know where they can obtain the wiring harness plugs for their trap machines. The releases come without a plug and it has been so long since I was last involved in doing this that I can't recall where the plugs can be purchased.

Thanks for any help!

Ed

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If it's for a Pat trap & a CVR release it's a heavy duty 3 prong twist lock male and female. Your local Home Depot has them. The female attaches to the trap machine, the male attaches to the relay box that has the a/c cord connected to it.

Eric

3. AveragEd

Thanks, Eric. These are Pats but Outers releases however if I recall correctly, the wiring is the same as CVRs.

Ed

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

We got ours from and industrial supply house called Grangers. They are nation wide and all there stuff is commercial quality. Check the web site for the local stores. Good Luck

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ed: If you can sell them back do so. The Outers releases are nothing but problems. Go for the Canterbury's. Bob Schultz handles the Canterbury brand. Fred

6. AveragEd

You know, I've heard that for years but in all honesty, I've had good luck with the Outers releases. Back before they came out, the first club in this area to get them had wired Canterburys and were tiring of the cheap connectors and all the unwanted targets in the air from car doors, barrels touching the stands, actions closing and so forth. I heard that Outers would be releasing wireless releases soon and contacted them. Dick Gries sent us a prototype set that were used on a practice trap at the Wisconsin State Shoot to try.

They sucked, in plain terms. Dick said he was afraid they might, as they had already made numerous changes to the ones that would go into production soon. He sent me one of the first sets of them and that club still uses that same set and has since purchased two more sets. If the battery voltage is checked with a DVOM weekly (drilling two small holes in the battery cover makes that a snap) and they are replaced at 7.7 volts, the things work great with one exception.

That exception is the occasional shooter who cannot consistently get a target. In years of practice, league and regsistered shoots at that club, literally a handful of such shooters were encountered. We can push the button for that small a number of shooters. And ironically, that is the precise reason the club who is selling them to us is replacing them - a handful of shooters who also were among the most vocal insisted on a change at a club meeting. But I'm relying upon my experience with three sets of them because of the issues with the Canterbury wires and first and second-design microphones.

I did try to locate used Canterburys as I felt they might be a less expensive route for this club to take. I inquired with Bob Shultz but never heard back from him. I also emailed the president of Canterbury, who said he would have Bob contact me. That was three weeks ago...

Fred, I respect what you're saying and agree that some clubs that have or had them hate or hated them. Four other clubs in this area have them and the only one with a problem experienced it due to a cellular telephone tower near the club - at times, all four of their traps would not throw a target unless the button was pushed. That probably would have happened with any wireless system.

Given what the club paid for the two sets, I feel sure they can recover their expense if they elect to resell them.

Ed

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

We use Outers at our club. They work fine,We do have a shooter or two that seem to have a problem with saying pull. One problem that gave us trouble was the coax cable for the antenna, We soldered the end that was loose and havent looked back. Our State Shoot will be useing Canterburys with wires this year.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

what about the wireless from Champion?? Anybody have experience with these??

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

North Hollywood Sportsman's Club has used wired Canterburry's for years and just picked up another two sets for our expansion. The only problem that we encounter is the wires at the end of the plug some times break down. We simply replace the wire from the speaker to the box and it works everytime. We then re-wire our own speakers with new wire and plugs. After a few [4 or 5]years of use we need to re-furbish the master control boxes. NO BATTERIES to replace every week. Every club that I kknow of around here, including the State shoot, has gone over to wired Canterburrys. Like Pat Traps... they simply work and work for less. One of the keys to keeping any of the units working is to have the same trained crew putting them and taking them down. Fred

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Fssberson said: "One of the keys to keeping any of the units working is to have the same trained crew putting them and taking them down." Oh how I envy those places that have the same people setup and strike their CVR's. Our county run facility never has the same people set up from week to week and they cause more maintenence problems than I can keep up with.

Eric

11. arrow

arrow Member

Ed
    I Posted a reply to your post about used units. I told you I had two rebuilt
    unets at the time and they are $850.
    I also Have the plugs you need.

I am a Canterbury Dealer and listed as a repair station on Canterburys web site
    and in thier manuals.Never heard from you.

Bryan Pierce
    Pierce Sales and Repair
    432 Oakridge drive
    Portage WI 53901
    Cell 608 617 6631

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone made handles for a canterbury voice release system