1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VIZIO PLASMA TV'S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by David Knapp, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

The New 50 inch is the best yet.

David Knapp

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have no problem with the brand and plan to buy one. I would like to hear the differences between the Plasma and the LCD. I have been intending to buy a LCD...what is the diff???

JON

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of the off brand tv's are made by the same company with the names being different. Flat panel tv technology has allowed bigger better images at a lower cost today than they were 18 months ago.

Eric

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I read on this site about a year ago, maybe a little more to stay away from the plasma tv's period. They were having trouble with the the light bulbs going dim early. I do not know if they have fixed this problem yet. There were many informed people posting on this ? at that time. You may be able to do a search on TV's and find it. I am sure more current info will follow on this post. The current 720 pixel TV's are nice but the newer ones that have the 1070 pixels are so much clearer. I think that in about 2 years or so these new ones will be in the 1200 to 1300 hundred dollars range. So I will wait and see. Break-em all. Jeff

5. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Check the follow site for plasma vs. lcd.
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/lcdtvfaqs/f/lcdfaq2.htm

Most all of the "no-name" Chinese sets are going to be about the same in picture quality and build quality. The main drawing point to these sets is the low price.
    As with most things, you get what you pay for.
    PG

6. badminton

badminton Member

Consumer Reports had the Vizio in there top rated section this past month in there magazine.

Kelly

7. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I have bought two of them over the last 3 years and they are great.

8. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Plasma tvs use a whole lot more electricity than lcd. They are such energy hogs, England is considering banning them.

9. Bubba

Bubba Member

Don't Plasmas weigh much more than LCDs? I know they run hotter.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Bought a 30" Vizio from Costco one year ago for $699. Comcast set it up when I subscribed to HD and it is completely satisfactory. A friend in the home movie theater business told me that Visio is a Sony brand that allows Sony to do business with the discounters and not interfere with their regular dealers.

11. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Vizio sets are manufactured under contract in Taiwan by Amtran Technology and by Foxconn. The new full HD 40" set that is to release later will use a panel that will be sourced from S-LCD, a Sony/Samsung venture.
    PG

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Dixie Special you have it backwards. LCD's (liquid crystal display) produce their own light.

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

You need to go to the store and look at them side by side.

Everybody's eyes work different. One set that looks good to you won't look as good to somebody else. One set might look better, but not be worth the extra money. I went looking for a 32" LCD TV about 3 months ago. The house-brand $500 Element was next to the $900 Samsung. Looking at them; yes, the Samsung had the better picture, but the Element looked almost as good and was almost half price.

Also what I found out -- there's no National Flat Panel Association or anything. The specs (Brightness, contrast ratio, response time, etc) are determines by the manufacturer. There's no organization that determines or checks what they say, so don't take it as gospel that one guys 10,000:1 contrast ratio is equal to the other guy's 10,000:1 ratio.

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Our Solid Waste District recently held a tox-a-way day that included a disposal site for electronics. I don't have the exact figures, but the district supervisor was very surprised at the number of flat screen plasma TV's being disposed of.

Danny