1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

visual acuity ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I can see the bird out of the house but lose it between 20/30 yds. after 30 yds i pick it back up in time to shoot.looks black.no orange color.shoot w/clear lens.ave going in the tank.not cross dominate.using the thumb on the wall or looking through a hole in paper method to check for cross dominance.would like to have some help.

Tracy

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

You haven't mentioned your age. It seems to me that seeing the bird well is easily the most important thing to any shooter. Like most people on this site, i shoot with some geezers like myself [58 yrs old]. There are a variety of vision problems between us. Anywhere from just weakening vision to outright blindness in one eye. You should probably get to a professional and get your eyes checked if you haven't recently. if all of that is up to date, I would first try Harlan Campbells method of shooting, which is a very high hold and just let the bird come into your field of view. This approach has been moderately to very successful among some of my older acquaintances. Possibly a colored lens? I'm sure you have tried this but sometimes a second attempt yields better results. Good luck Bill

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

when's the last time you had your eyes checked??

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A lot of truth to what EuroJoe just said. Many shooters running around with bad eyes and prescriptions that no longer suit their needs. Men don't always follow up on appointments with docs like we should. I would start there.

I'm no Optomitrist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8)

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

vision checked 2mo ago.20/25 corrected,no color problems.took a cambell clinic 2yrs ago.this is something that has come up in the last 6 Mo's.have lost 8 birds from ave.something has gone wrong.same gun,same shell, same setting on stock.

6. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Is it truly your eyes?
    You say you've dropped 8 birds from your average. Something has changed. Have you gained/lost any weight? This would have a definite impact. Even as little as 20lbs will thicken or thin your face enough to have a significant impact.

You may want to go to the pattern board to see if things still look good. Might tell you something.

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tracyhunter, it's not your eyes, when watching the traphouse, you see a blob/blur with no distiction you cannot hit, if you focus out 18 to 25 yds PAST the traphouse, when the target riuses above your rib you will see a clear killable target, with your vision you will see the rings on the target, and you will smoke it faster with a lot less effort.Should you want to shoot the traphouse, look at it, should you want to shoot a clay target, your eyes should be in the killing zone, no where else! incinerate em!

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

grntitan,i wanted to stay at the holiday inn express but it was full.stayed at the sparta motel instead.could that be the cause of my problem?:)have not lost/gained # in 20 yrs.big Leo 111 got me from 85 to 93, hate to give up on looking at top of trap house but if that's what it takes then so be it.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Better get checked for macular degeneration.

10. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Go back to Harlan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.