1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vista to IE7 question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Vista is a pain, can I have Vista uninstalled and Windows 7 replace it ? The computer is 8 months old. Thanks, Jeff

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Not the official word but I've been told by a computer genius friend that it can be done. I think that you can download a trial version of IE7 to replace Vista but you'll have to purchase 7 after the new year to continue using it.

Eric

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I gather you meant "Windows 7." If so, you can. PC World magazine has had very good articles about converting from XP and Vista to 7 in the last two issues. I subscribe to that magazine because it is written so that even computer dummies like me can understand the articles. You can probably access a lot of the information on their website. Microsoft likely has info on their site, too.

I guess I'm an oddball in that I like Vista better than XP. I have XP on an older desktop at home and Vista on this two year-old laptop I use for business and personal use at work. I'm thinking about replacing that XP machine with one of HP's all-in-ones with a touchscreen. But I'm not a gamer or computer hobbyist - I use the home computer mostly as a word processor and to visit numerous sites like this one.

Ed

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I could be wrong, but I think that Vista is your operating system while IE7 (Internet Explorer 7) is your access to the Internet. Two entirely seperate things.

You will have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me about how to remove Vista and replace it with, for example, Windows XP.

Regards,
    Allen

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Vista is an operating system. IE7 is a browser, not an operating system. If you were referring to Windows 7, then you may upgrade from Vista to Win7 as long as you are going from 32-bit to 32-bit, or 64-bit to 64-bit. If you wish to go from 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice versa) you must do a clean install.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

A Vista computer may be upgraded to Windows 7, provided the hardware will meet Windows 7 requirements (many older computers more that 2-3 years, will not) and as long as you are doing straight upgrade (32 bit to 32 bit, or 64 bit to 64 bit). A computer running Windows XP cannot be "upgraded" however. To set up such a computer for Windows 7 (again, assuming the hardware meets requirements), you have to save off all data to an external harddrive or similar, then clean off hard drive, and do a clean install of Windows 7. Then you would have to reinstall all programs from original disks, then restore the data to appropriate directories from the saved data on the external hard drive or other media you saved it to. There are some programs that purport to allow a direct transfer of programs and data to a Windows 7 computer from a Windows XP computer, but this is iffy.

Jim R

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

I just read the comment that you have to completely erase the hard drive to do a clean install of WIN7. If you have to go to that extreme ins't about time that you consider dumping the junk and buy a Macintosh?
    Its easier and you don't have to fool with all that virus junk and stuff. It just works for you...

TB

8. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

TBaber,

A clean install is only required if you go from XP to Win 7 skipping Vista, or if you go from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit (as far as I understand it).

Macs are nice, but they cannot run software needed for serious software development without virtualizing and if you have to run a virtual machine to get things done, then what's the point of a Mac to begin with?

OTOH, if you're into graphical arts, nothing beats a Mac

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

9. willing

willing Member

What about Win Mail? I read something which said it was not in Win 7. Do you just keep the mail program you have in Vista or do you start all over?

Bill

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

After the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, you download the free email program from Windows Live Essentials. Supposedly, your old Windows email data will still be on the drive and can be imported into the new email program.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

C.F.P, I have to disagree with you about virtualization. I think it a blessing. I currently run Vista business 32-bit on my main workstation. I use Virtual PC 2007 to run a separate XP SP3 machine virtually, because some of the programs I need to run won't run under Vista, even in XP emulation mode. That isn't because Vista sucks. It's because the code writers didn't follow rules.

In a few days I'm going to upgrade to Win 7- probably 64-bit so I can access more memory. I intend to clone my existing setup by making a virtual machine using VM Workstation. Then, after installing Win7, I'll run my current machine as a virtual machine AND my current virtual XP machine. I won't have to reinstall any programs and I can set any of the apps on the virtual machine to act just like Win7 apps.

The same is true for a Mac. Unless you are willing to create a hackintosh, you can't run Windows programs on a Mac without virtualizaton (dual boot or window). A Mac will never be my primary workstation because of the awful Apple Tax on Mac hardware. However, I'm seriously considering buying a MacBook Pro for my new laptop. If I do, you can bet I'll be running Virtual Windows via VM Fusion, because may of the programs I simply must use only run on Windows. That essentially gives me two computers on one machine.

Virtualization is the only way to fly. It lets you use the best of each operating system/programs. Trust me on this. There are certain things about OS X that simply suck. Same with Vista. Same with some of the programs that run under these OSs. Virtualization lets you run the best of each, albeit with a slight performance penalty.

12. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

zzt,

<i>"the awful Apple Tax on Mac"</i>

ROTFLMAO! I nearly fell out of my chair!

I use VirtualPC to load a machine that has XP and IE6 on it so I can test my apps with IE6 - our government customer is STILL using IE6 (@#$%$$!). However, my entire day is spent in front of Visual Studio and using a VM drains my RAM in half, so I can't imagine working in a VM all day long buried in the page file.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

i heard at one time, that Microsoft was going to give away Windows 7 to all those who purchased Vista and are unhappy with it....but that sounded like a fishin' story. I have Vista Home Ultimate and other than the anoyance of "auto complete" not working all the time on email adresses, I don't have a problem with it (keeps me from forwarding as much stuff as I used to..probably a good thing)....but then again I'm not as computer literate as some of you folks (nor do I really want to be)...so I'll just plod along with what I've got...

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

ZZT...

Apple Tax eh.... Well I suspect you paid a Perazzi Tax or A K80 Tax or a DT-10 Tax or something similar.

Just like a shotgun you get what you pay for. Obviously you want your China import Pump gun of the computer world whereas I want the Perazzi. They both will break birds but the reliability and ease of use is much different.

TB

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

ZZT

After I wrote the previous reply I ran across reference article from InfoWorld. Suggest you read it.

Tom

16. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

If you bought a computer after June 26,2009 that is running Vista,
    you may be elegible to upgrade to Windows 7 for free.
    Go to website above
    and enter your computer model and serial numbers.
    I bought an Acer laptop and it qualifies. Hope this helps.

Mark

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

You better go look at the mighty mouse the new mulit finger mouse fro
    Apple. Two button Mouses are so backward. I am not into retro computers.

TB

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ljutic73 I don't know if I would trust that, I'm still waiting for my check from Bill Gates I was promised in an email he sent me.

Windows 3.2 keep it simple. Couldn't get my XT to run it worth a dam but at least I got a color card when I upgraded all the way to the ultra powerful 286.

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks for the reply's ,Meant windows 7. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.