1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Visitor to my bird feeder tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My favorite feathered friend..he has an almost exclusive preference for pidgeons and a squirrel every now and then!
    calvinmd_2008_030379.jpg

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Kinda cuts down on business huh!

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And he looks pissed!

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The pet feed store wont appreciate that as a poster

The amount of bird feed sold will fall to new lows

Every now and then we have eagles that are around here- right in the center of Iowa- it is amazing to see them- I can only imagine an eagle sitting on that feeder

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Great photo Calvin, hope you are feeling better. I have a squirrel feeder and about 200 or so squirrels that frequent it. One is crippled. Not sure what happened to him but he acts like a head injury patient. He cannot stnd up long, just falls over so when he goes down the fence to get to the feeder, he hangs on sideways. A Hawk just like the one in your photo is stalking him. I know it is nature and thats how they live but I am tempted to shoot at him with the BB gun to scare him off. The Crip as we call him has become our friend, he waits for me to come out so the other squirrels leave and he goes in the feeder. He will eat from my hand also

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got a Cooper's hawk that hangs around here year round. He does really good on the unsuspecting critters. I'll throw a little seed out every once in a while to keep him healthy in the cold months. He keeps my area rodent free and doesn't fuss with anything else.

ss

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Mine is not as big but just as good in getting rid of the trash. LOL
    auctioneer_2009_0507107.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507108.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507109.jpg

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

YA---They got rid of all my trash---Quail---Rabbits---Pheasants--- If I had my way they would be my trash---Wonder if they are good eaten---I'd have them as a side plate on Thanksgiveing----JMO----MYSTIC---

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

Late Christmas Eve my son-in-law stepped outside for a smoke. Sitting on the window box outside our kitchen window was a Northern Pygmy Owl. Louis said the little fellow sat there for about 45 minutes. I had no idea there were any around here.Bird books say they are about 7" tall and weigh a wopping 2-1/2 ounces.

John

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

CalvinMD:

I have what I believe to be a juvenile Coopers hawk as an occasional visitor to my feeders. I'm not sure about the identification because Coopers and Sharp Shinned are both common in my area. They look much alike, their sizes overlap, and they share similar hunting styles and habits. What I know for sure is that my visitor likes doves.

Unfortunately, I haven't been successful getting clear photos - too many shadows and tree limbs. Thanks to you and Auctioneer for sharing yours.

sissy

PS: Among the distinguishing characteristics for Coopers and Sharp Shinned are the feet and legs. In Auctioneer's photos (particularly the last one) the bird's legs look long and thin. That would suggest a Sharp Shinned. The bird in your photo appears to have shorter legs and heavier feet. That would suggest a Coopers. But I'm still just guessing... : )

11. FIB

FIB Member

I really enjoy the comeback of all the raptors in the midwest. I'm 46 and can remember when it was rare to see a red tail hawk or a bald eagle. Beautiful animals. I have a bird feeder and every so often a cooper's hawk will zoom by and kill a bird. To him my feeder is a drive through.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They like doves too.

Jim Skeel

13. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

This is across the street from my back yard in Bloomington Minnesota. I heard a bunch of crows making a racket and when I looked there was this eagle. I went and got the camera and got within 15 feet of him. We have some white squirrels in the neighborhood and he got one of them. He proceeded to pick it apart until he had enough, gripped in his talons and flew off down the road toward a county park. I have about 30 pictures of him. It was pretty exciting.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jimw-mn/?action=view&current=Eagle4.jpg" target="_blank"> Eagle4.jpg </a>

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We have a Red Shoulder hawk come in to the feeder and what I thought was a Cooper Hawk. They like to come in and grab and or have the Doves hit the window. Easy meal then. LOL

We had a deer hit by a car one day and I put the deer in a field where I could watch it. We had a young Bald Eagle come in the next day that was going from its brown feathers to its black and white feathers. People were stopping and or turning around to look at it eating the deer.

We have also had a adult eagle sit in our yard tree for about 55 min. We are having the eagle's making a nice come back in our area. We enjoy seeing them in our area.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just for the fun of it these are a couple of photos of different Hawks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One is a Coopers the other is a Redtail.

Bob Lawless

16. ksaul1

ksaul1 TS Member

Great pictures!

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

We get a lot of Red Tail Hawks around our several bird feeders. My wife gets up set when they take a bird but the Hawks need to eat and feed their babies too.

They are very graceful and fast when they fly and will snatch a bird out of a bush or off of the ground in a heartbeat.

The hawks are death on chip monks which is sad as my wife really likes them.

Last Spring a big Red Tail chased a ground hog around the yard. The ground hog ran under a coup;e of vehicles and our back porch and finally made it to safety. The hawk would sit on top of the garage but the ground hog was either too fast or heavy for the hawk.

My wife likes it on the rare occasion that a hawk gets a snake. The snake will writhe away in the hawk's grip as the hawk flies away.

I wish that the hawks would clean out the several feral cats that hang out around the feeders.

Ed Ward

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Keep the photos coming

19. willing

willing Member

Bob
    Great pictures, wish I could have seen them live.

Bill

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

willing

I am not trying to deceive anyone I didn't take those pictures. I attempt to take pictures of that quality but I don't quite seem to be able to get the same detail as I would like.

Those pictures came off the web. The first photo is an immature Coopers Hawk the Second photo is a mature Red-tailed.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.