1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting the USA with Firearm. RULE CHANGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

ATF Form 6NAI Changes forthcoming.

The requirement to have a hunting license or shoot inviation will no longer be a requirement. However, until the new ATF Form 6NIA is published, you must meet the requirements of the current form. Publishing date of the new form is unknown.

You will still be required to apply for an approved ATF Form 6NAI, but not have to supply a hunting license or shoot invitation.

The new ATF Form 6NAI has not been published.

-----

In short, the permit process is designed to ensure that the nonimmigrant aliens can lawfully possess a firearm in the United States (i.e., that they do not fall within any of the other statutory prohibitions on possession of firearms) and it gives ATF an opportunity to conduct a background check on the applicant if warranted.5

Thus, the language of ยง 478.120(a) makes no change in the status quo for nonimmigrant aliens lawfully admitted to the United States without a visa, except that they will no longer be required to submit documentation that they fall within one of the statutory exceptions for the nonimmigrant prohibition, consistent with the changes being made in this final rule.

http://losttarget.blogspot.com/2012/07/visiting-usa-with-firearm-rule-change.html

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Their will come a time that enough aliens will be armed enough that violence will begin to erupt in sections of the country. Then the government will start to place very strict limits on your right to own any kind of a gun.
    In reality this was what fast and ferious was all about. Many seem to think it was a continuation of Bushes policy.Bush stopped his policy in 2007 when they let 400 weapons go into Mexcio with tracking devices in 2005. It was stopped because the cartal found out about the tracking so Bush stopped the program.
    Obamma and Holder intentions were to let as many go through and hope many would get back to the states with constant violence so to impliment stiff rules on weapons sold to US citizens. They had no other adjunda than that. It backfired but the right to own guns have their head in the sand when they should be crying out with anger that the DOJ won't try Holder. It the papers got out they would find the true reason of fast and ferious. Speak up to you representitive to put weight on Congress and the DOJ.
    Anyone that thinks illegals should have the right to own guns without taking an oath to the United States Of America. If that oath is violated very stiff penalities should be inplace.But we have a so called president who is not even a citizen of the US.Wild Bill

3. Joe Potosky

RE: enough aliens will be armed

This does not change the present rule of being pre-approved (by ATF Via ATF Form 6NIA) to bring a firearm into the states for hunting or sporting purposes. The approval process can take up to six weeks. This is not a permanent import.

All it does is remove the farce of a visitor having to have a hunting license or a shoot invitation when applying for the permit.

I have attended shoots in the states with well over 50 Canadians in attendance and not one was thinking of taking up arms against the USA. Well can't say that for sure, but pretty sure : )

By the way, I will be talking to ATF on Monday to see if they have any idea when the new ATF Form 6NIA will be published, along with the new rules.

The requirement to have a hunting license or shoot inviation will no longer be a requirement. However, until the new ATF Form 6NIA is published, you must meet the requirements of the current form. Publishing date of the new form is unknown.

4. twopipe

twopipe Member

"50 Canadians in attendance" Joe, you came very close to being "eh'd " to death, next time run away !

5. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Joe thanks for the heads up !Now I have a question going the other way to Canada for a shoot lets say in Montreal does one need to apply to carry the shotgun before hand or can we do it at the Boarder! Ive been told you can do it @ the Boarder and only costs 25 dollars i know youll give the straight scoop ! Thanks

6. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Here is a telephone number to call. 1-306-927-2455 North Portal Sask. a boarder crossing

7. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Thank you !

8. Joe Potosky

You can process a long gun to enter Canada at the border the same day you cross.

All you need to know at this link.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

Matter of fact shooting trap near Montreal on Sunday at Club Valleyfield.

I've visited most clubs in Quebec. If you have any questions just drop me a line.

You will need an Enhanced Drivers license (driving only) or Passport to re-enter the USA. A regular drivers license is a thing of the past when returning to the US.

9. Joe Potosky

RE: Gary Bryant Dr.longshot (unless you have been spammed)

What does this have to do with the topic in regard to crossing the border with a firearm to attend a sporting event or go hunting.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

Joe

Thanks for your work on this issue. I sent it to one of our UK members who is in the process of renewing his permit. Also I am going to the Canadian Nationals next week and your links to the Canadian form was very helpful.

Tom

11. Joe Potosky

UPDATE: July 10, 2012

I contacted ATF and they returned my call this AM.

The rule for not requiring a Hunting License or Shoot Invitation is effective July 9, 2012.

This rule change is only for those who entry into the USA and DON'T require a VISA. If you require a VISA then you must use either a Hunting License or Shoot Invitation.

A new form is being expedited, but ATF does not know when it will be published, as they don't control that part of the process (I check for a new form daily).

ATF will process your form without the Hunting License or Shoot Invitation, but be prepared to have problems with US Customs (my words) as it will take time to bring them up to speed, especially if your using the older ATF Form 6NIA. ATF said you can have U.S. customs call them if they have any questions. In the short term I suggest you still use the Hunting License or Shoot Invitation option until the new form is published, but that is your decision to make.

--------

Also, I asked about the ability to Email the application as a PDF to the ATF for approval, instead of having to FAX, as presently the ATF will email back the approved application as a PDF attachement.

Not to be, but....

Not this year, but in the next few years, the plan is in the works to be able to submit all ATF forms electronically. No longer having too FAX.

Joe Potosky, The Lost Target

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for you continued efforts to keep on top of EVERYTHING, Joe! It's appreciated!

Ron Burr

Alberta

13. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Joe: Please excuse this old man's ignorance, but what is a Enhanced Drivers license. I have never heard of this until now. Sorry for changing the subject of this thread. Rick

14. Joe Potosky

RE: Enhanced Drivers license

A Drivers License that takes the place of a PassPort (driving only). Both Canada and the US recognize. CANNOT be used when flying.

Cheaper then a PassPort. That's why they came out with it. One of those back room compromises when they getting ready to require passports.

Quebec and Ontario (for Canadians issue) as wlll as NY, Vermont and several other border states issue (For US Citizens). A few other places in Canada may issue but have not checked.

I had to show three types of documents to show that I lived in the US and was an American Citizen. Took about two weeks to process (NY motor vehicle department). Without looking at my license I think it was issued for seven years.

15. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Hmmmmm, thank you so much, Never to old to learn something new. Shoot well and stay safe. Rick

16. DanLee

DanLee Member

I think the enhanced drivers license is only issued by certain border states, and not all of them. There is a passport card available from the U.S. Dept of State that is cheaper than a full passport and can be used for border crossings. You will still need a regular drivers license to drive. As for flying within the U.S. any government-issued photo I.D. will work for a citizen. Dunno about flying out of country, but I've always had a regular passport for that purpose.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

invitation for candian trap shooters going to united states