1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting Chicago ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

I will be in Chicago this weekend . Is there any good gun stores in the area? I do know about Cabelas and Bass Pro.Also is there any NBA stores?. Thanks, I will be staying in north downtown area. Thanks, Mike

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There are NO gun stores in Chicago. I'm not sure you're even allowed to think about guns in the Chicago city limits.

Eric

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mike,
    You would have to venture a fair distance from the city to find sporting stores that sell guns. If your interested and have the time and ability to travel I can get a few naoes of stores in the suburban areas

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

FYI ... unless they have built a Bass-Pro closer than Gurnee and a Cabela's closer than the new Hoffman store you aint really going to very easily be able to get to either unless you have a car and not really planning on anything else at all.

Say you leave at 7am and want to go to Bass-Pro. You will most likely arrive there around 8:30 and possibly closer to 9am. Now lets say you only want to spend 1 hour investigating the store and in reality and we have all done this far to many times that 1 hour turns into leaving Bass-Pro at noonish or even later. Now you know you must make a stop at White Castle for a couple of sliders since they are very close to Gurnee Mills Mall and Bass Pro before heading to Cabelas.

You finally get on the road to Cabela's at lets say noon on the early side and you should hit Cabela's at about 2ish or so and lets say you plan that hour only but end up ... well at about 4:30 or 5 your finally getting ready to leave and decide to check out the shopping area east of Cabela's for an NBA store or such since your not to far away from Woodfield Mall and all the stores that go into a mall.

Well lets just say that by about 10 or 11pm when you finally make it back to where your staying you realize that it just was not worth going to both places and should have only gone to 1 place and would have been home by about 3 or 4pm instead. Do yourself a favor ... if you have nothing else to do and you will be either just sitting on your toukass doing nothing being bored than go to both but if you have other things you could do ... do those instead cause if your flying your just going to be kicking yourself in the ass for not being able to purchase everything you want to get and if your driving back to wherever your visiting from you will need to get a tow behind to take all your purchases home.

Have a great time in Chicago and dont forget to eat a few good ole' Chicago Dog's while your there. I personally cant wait til T-Day when I'll be back in the area again and going to Cabela's myself. Matter of fact I have a couple hours planned as a stop there either on the way out to my final destination from the airport or sometime during the holiday but I will be staying not to far away from there to begin with.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There are plenty of good gun stores around - just not within the Chicago city limits. You've got Shore Galleries north on Devon in Lincolnwood, Dicks Sporting Goods on Touhy, also in Lincolnwood (used to be Gaylans) both about 10 miles from downtown. There's a store southwest in Plainfield that is excellent, and one far south -I forget the name. Bells Gun shop is west in Bellwood, another store west one on Irving Park in Hanover Park, a huge store in East Rockford. It's just that they all require some travel, but some less than an hour from where you are.
    Most stores won't even let you handle a gun without a FOID card, and for sure you can't buy any guns or ammo.
    Or you can get into a time machine and go back to the 60's when they had
    the best trap, skeet, and field,guns in the gun department at Marshall Fields, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Klein's Sporting Goods - all in downtown Chicago within walking distance.
    Daley was mayor - the father, not the son.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Which is the huge store in East Rockford?

I'm also wondering since I'm going to be in the area over T-Day timeframe if there are any clubs that might be open the day after or possibly the Sunday after T-day for a little shooting fun and ... well ... here is the ideal part of it all have guns available to rent? Any ideas?

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Is Chicago the place with the Fat pizza, or is it Boston? I get that all mixed up!

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's GAT guns in Dundee, not East Rockford which is an adjoining suburb. The place for trap guns is JTG in Libertyville, an acronym for John's Trap Guns - big Perazzi dealer. The far south side one is the famous Chucks Gun Shop in Riverdale, the place they're trying to shut down because somebody bought a gun there and went out and shot somebody.

GAT guns won't let you handle a gun unless you show them your gun card.
    I said to the salesman: " Gun card? I don't need a gun card. I don't have to show you any stinkin gun card."

He wasn't amused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.